Kayaking & Canoes

Aqua Bound ‘Manta Ray’. See purchase thread. It has twist lock adjustable feather.

1 Like

I think you would get used to it. It sure if you’re missing anything serious or not. Pretty much every kayak or surf ski I’ve used had always had a fathered paddle that I recall. So it’s natural to me to paddle that way.

2 Likes

This is the thing I’m puzzled by, feathered is definitely the norm but I don’t see any biomechanical reason for it.
As I said in previous post, the only justification I’ve found is that the paddle not in the water cuts through the wind better if it’s at an angle to the one in the water. That makes sense for touring or long distances but not for white water, surfing etc.
The more I read the more I came to the conclusion it makes no odds and do whatever you’re happy with.

1 Like

I have recently read that article!

1 Like

Any idea what this is a mount for?

1 Like

Torpedo launcher ?

Go pro?

1 Like

Propeller ?

Looking at you other picture in the purchases thread (if it’s where I think it is) it’s too far forward to be any kind of GPS mount or anything you need to be able to reach when in the kayak.
I’ve drawn a blank sorry.

1 Like

Yes I think it’s a Go Pro. I’ll have to get one now :rofl:

2 Likes

So you can make content for your followers, right? :roll_eyes::rofl:

3 Likes

That was an interesting first trip out in the new kayak. Before I’d even got going, I managed to tweak my back by the river bank, forgetting to have soft knees when I went to lift it with one arm (it was early & I wasn’t limbered up)…then when I was getting into it in water about 3ft deep…it tipped me right off the other side :roll_eyes: :joy: Suffice to say, my new boat is a lot more tippy than the twin barge! Like moving from a C-130 to a Hawk.

The Avon was serene at 7.30 am; my friend saw 2 kingfishers, but I missed them, Quite a few Herons though.

7 Likes

Also a good job I had my phone case on a lanyard…otherwise that would have ended-up on the river bed!
Dundas Aqueduct:

7 Likes

What happened to that tree, storm Eunice?

1 Like

I guess so; that or one of the other recent ones. There were a few trees down. We went swimming the other side of the Aqueduct a few years ago, and it was clear then. Bloody cold water though, even in summer; the Wye always feels warmer (and faster flowing).

1 Like

Looks like a lovely stretch of water. I think I said, every now and then I stay in touch with an angling forum. (I don’t post, just lurk), they seem to hate cyclists, runners and anything that isn’t fat, tab smoking and probably Daily Mail reading.

There does seem to be a special vitriol for ‘bloody kayakers’ though. Do you get any abuse?

2 Likes

No, but my mate said they have a strained relationship. We did come across a guy kayak fishing, and passed him both ways. Mate said ‘don’t worry this is the last time’ and I’m sure I saw him mutter something to himself. But it was only going to get busier (with other kayakers/paddleboarders) on a Sunday with weather like yesterday! If you want peace…night fish :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Night fishing used to be very relaxing and I did it a lot before leaving for Oz but from what I read now, it’s turned into a bit of a bivvy/camp out/ weed fest for ‘da yoof’.

1 Like

River Yealm. Managed to avoid getting collared for the £20 launch/use fee on the river! Only been doing it since 2012 iirc; brigands.

12 Likes

Very nice!