Kona 2021

The tech is at least reliable, as it is just a straight up medical sensor that’s pretty much essential to millions, so that differs a bit to other sports devices measuring stuff.

If the app, and the value of monitoring while you exercise is there I’m more unsure what actionable info you can really get, it seems to me pretty odd to have got to a stage where eating can be got so considerably wrong…

and that brings us full circle back to crappy American led saturation marketing, only for shit food this time…

So how does this Sapiens stuff square-up to equivalent medical kits? Is it essentially the same hardware, but with sports targeted software and marketing? What’s the price difference.

It’s cheaper hardware than the continuous ones I think, I don’t think it does full on real time readings that the continuos kits with a pump does, so there’s some difference / money saved in that part, but not much, actually, looks like 4 quid a day for sapiens, 5 quid + VAT for the medtronic CGM with pump, that already syncs with the garmin, guess you’d have to work out what to do yourself, and guess you pay VAT if you’re using it for sport… And throw out the pump too, although I guess you could use it, just need to not hear the doorbell if anti-doping turn up.

Coming to a MAMIL near you soon. We must be close to the stage where there are so many wearables we will end up with one and done triathletes with about 10 different bands on their arms, what with WHOOP, This, Garmin, apple watch so you can have live tracking , your livestrong band.

4 Likes

I’m not racing unless my drone is allowed to live track and follow me, streaming to my YT channel. Harrumph.

Actually, if we brought our own drones we could shop others (and ourselves) to the marshalls for drafting fairly easily.

4 Likes

they were on about tech using drones and GPS for draft busting in some article I read somewhere, although currently problem with GPS is that the signals would need to be almost continuous stream to a satellite not just pinging it every x seconds.

Hmm, not sure why they’d need GPS but I’d agree it’s the wrong tech for the job.

If the camera isn’t enough you could add range finder tech and Pythagorean logic to get your 12m or whatever the rules are.

GPS was for exact measure, drone as the referees eyes

I think the biggest issue is the battery life of minutes!

Half an hour I think for domestic units.

Maybe they should’ve been sponsored by Predator Corp

Cba to start a new thread.

What’s everyone making of this then? I must admit I just thought it was a load of or nonsense, and was surprised that they actually organised a race. Can’t really see the point personally. But there we go.

BE13 are involved, so I guess that will have links to Macca and Super League etc. which means the production will likely be good. Especially with only 2 people to concentrate on!

It could be really interesting, or could be really boring if Jan gets a big gap on the swim and then holds that for the rest of the race.

1 Like

If it’s close it will be great (although perhaps not for the whole 8 hours.)

I think the biggest risk is one of them getting dropped significantly - on the bike? - and it becoming a clear procession.

1 Like

Yeah a full IM seems a bit unnecessary, maybe something like the old Nice distance would have been better

Didn’t they do this with Peter Reid years back in a Mano a Mano race at Wildflower. And it was boring as f-ck.

2 Likes

Great birthday present for me :smiley:

Jan would surely hold back for entertainments sake.

And Lionel’s use of the phrase “mano a mano”?

And Zwift sponsored but real race?

Seems bizarre for Zwift to be sponsoring an IRL race.

I assumed that this was a virtual race when I first saw it.

1 Like

Zwift sponsor the ITV4 cycling coverage, no different to that really