Local race attendance in 2022

Sad indeed, did that a few years back.

Amazingly beginner friendly course! :+1:

For I would love to race more, TTs and any other rype of race but I have been told to stick to the master plan and only enter the A races this year. There are 18 events I have to miss if I have to stick to the plan but following the plan has kept me injury free and performing when it counts.
Most of TT club have dropped the weekday events to chain gang instead leaving a handful of hardy souls to brave the pot holes.

5 Likes

We had the crazy situation of 3 races locally last night so a lot of competition for athletes.

There was a fast 5K that PB hunters like.

A trail 5K

And a club relay race of 2k laps I think.

All were drivable from my home in 10-20 minutes

1 Like

And the first major event has been cancelled due to low numbers:

Oh dear. I need to check if the French have similar struggles.

Done my bit and entered one of man triā€™s midweek aquathlons :wink:

1 Like

RunFestRun was cancelled two weeks ago for similar reasons. It said something like ā€˜Increased athlete cautionā€™

1 Like

First year they were running it right?

1 Like

It does look like france might have similar struggles. Thereā€™s a locally organised but very well attended sprint and Olympic distance tri in June that has good prize money and it hasnā€™t sold out yet. TriGames on the Med, which was always the early season race, is in 2 weeks time and still has entries. This year it also has the first stage of the D1 series so that normally attracts more people. Doesnā€™t seem to be this year :woman_shrugging:t4:

Aix en Provence 70.3 is still selling entries. But Les Sables dā€™Olonne 70.3 in early July has sold out. Places still available in Nice.

1 Like

Our race next weekend has enough entries to break even. Trying to push to get a few more volunteer marshalls (lowers the costs) or get a few more entries. Iā€™m marshalling this time.

The club uses the income from the race to subsidise pool and coach time the rest of the year so break even isnā€™t ideal.

2 Likes

Think Vichy is still open as well.

I think some people stopped exercising over lockdown and just havenā€™t got back into it or found other hobbies.

The increased costs certainly arenā€™t helping though.

1 Like

I think thereā€™s still a few deferrals rolling over too

In france though, away from Ironman, triathlon entries are not expensive. Typically ā‚¬20-30 for a sprint, ā‚¬40-60 for Olympic and a long distance may only occasionally creep up to or just past ā‚¬100. So I understand the loss in popularity of Mdot events but not for the local ones.

3 Likes

Hardly a surprise if they are 3 times more expensive and then things like travel and potentially a couple of days accommodation.

Iā€™m not sure I am completely surprised. Our tri club has well over 150 members I think and this is right on our doorstep and only 2 people had entered it. Compared to at least 12 going to Cotswold classic

I know Outlaw have a good reputation for a decent event but the course is pretty uninspiring

I feel that triathlon participation had already peaked by 2020 and the pandemic has massively accelerated the decline :thinking:

2 Likes

OTOH Ironman are saying they have record entries for 70.3 Staffs :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Draft fest then!

Too many rollers on that course for that!

All 2022 Breca Swimrun events cancelled https://www.brecaswimrun.com/ plan is to start again in 2023 :crossed_fingers:

I wonder what Park Run numbers are like? These are events with no ā€˜costā€™ and usually extremely local.

If it is a case of ā€˜significant numbers of people previously inclined to exercise and do the odd event sat down to watch Netflix in March 2020 and havenā€™t got back off the sofa yetā€™ it would show up most here.

I may check my local events to seeā€¦.

2 Likes