Minimum Ironman Training

Similar. I am awoken every morning at 6.45 by the 4 year old and I spend the next 12 and a half hours trying to home school and WFH. Missus assists of course, but we also have a 4 month old to attend to. Popping out for a run at 9.30pm is just about tolerated. This is the huge downside to WFH, not much stealth training going on. Roll on September…

1 Like

Theoretically Im on board with that and for some time, but I havent got the courage to go against all the counter advice yet.

I think the science supports it, but the coaching doesnt yet.

1 Like

I think it depends on the individual. Take 2 Pro women, CW did 90min max. Bella used to do a TM marathon every week or suffered on race day. I also think if you are a typical adult triathlete, looking at 4.30+ you will be walking somewhat so train with some long walks, do a few hours walking with purpose, or run 10 walk 5 for 3 or 4 hours.

2 Likes

Taking this on a step if you have been on a minimal program and are going into an event without the hours under the belt then there are a few areas which you can focus on to really get the best out of the day.
Firstly keep the weight off! Half a stone is a lot to carry around, especially if the course is hilly.
Get your kit squared away, clothing tested (no chaffing), bike position comfortable, nutrition tested how much and when you will be passing aid stations.
Run shoes no blisters, take time in transition talc socks vas whatever helps you to be as comfortable as possible …smile and enjoy the run.
I know this is all standard stuff but without the miles in the bag you gotta make it as comfortable as possible

2 Likes

although i have a history of endurance training to fall back on, for research i completed an IM without training for 2 years (bar 2 x 2k o/w swims to make sure i wouldn’t be a liability to the race organiser)…i got round, but i really wouldn’t recommend it…

9 Likes

What he said…

It can be done at most levels … but you know that is going to hurt.

Some experiment

The two big benefits being there’s no pressure to hit a time goal or do all the training :sweat_smile:

A mate who turned down a Kona slot kept his long runs to 2 hours, but did them the day after a fairly brutal 6+ hour ride over the moors so his legs were tired.

But, he wasn’t at the top of his age group without also having natural ability and genetics.

1 Like

Ha ha
Surely the goal is 17 hours?
Assuming they can actually swim everyone you know could eventually complete a full distance race…with lots of stops I’m guessing it would be well over a day for most with no training I’m sure.

I think it was Matt who said that 7-9 hours would see most people round, and some blessed souls under 12, or 11 on an easier course.

Been a strange year, but had time to work on lots of long distance stuff, seems comfort, pacing and nutrition are even more important this year… age?

With a long history of training, I’m pretty sure 7-9h a week would easily net me sub 12 on a flatter course. In fact I’ve probably averaged around 10h/week over a year and gotten a few low-10 finishes when I was younger.

2 Likes

that wasn’t just any old IM either, one of the toughest non “extreme” tris out there! I was due to race there this year. Maybe next year as its the sort of race that could go ahead under current guidelines. In 2014 I hardly see a sole all day, except when Fraser Cartmell lapped me on the bike :frowning:

2 Likes

I’d agree, but constrain those hours to only five sessions and I think you’re planning to fail.

My position on an optimal training cadence - not ideal but optimal - is the three sports, three times per week. For example, three 40 min swims rather than one 2h swim.

I know almost everyone, including me sometimes, rails against swimming but it’s injury risk free , full body training, and sets you up for the bike and run.

Twice a week running is just too much of a shock, I don’t think your body gets the message that you are a runner on twice. Again, 3x say 45/45/1.5h beats 2x 1.5h imo and is easer to sneak in.

Long course, 3 bikes maybe 4 is optimal for time and is the best place for the longest house because of injury risk. Maybe 45/45/3.5 to get your longest ride in, and indoors for time efficiency.

2 Likes

Oh yes, when I wasn’t bike commuting I always aimed for 3x SBR each week. Little and often.

1 Like

Yep, at IMUK last year when I did almost zero hours all year, I swam 1:15 then stopped for a chat at 3 different spots on the bike with my missus/kids, friends and sister/family.

People looking at me like I was mad :smiley:

Spent 5/10 extra mins in T2 trying to convince a guy not to quit and come for a walk with me. He refused but then ran past me after 2 miles and thanked me.

I had more fun high5ing people and whistling up climbs than I’ve ever had in any other race.

Still wouldn’t recommend it though!

11 Likes