More DIY & Gardening numptiness

Grass is fucked but my flowers seem okay.

Fingers crossed on the grapevine, might have to leave the tap running overnight…

I learned from previous years and the flowers
I care about are in pots so I can shift them into the shade in this phase of the year. Shame I let so many die in spring though :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yeah my vine is looking dry af and also needs a serious trim can’t be bothered though!

4 Likes

My fence plants really suffered whilst we’re away last. We’ve watered and fed them but they look the same. Can I cut them back or are they dead? :cry:

1 Like

they’ve gone too far for redemption imho but you could try by taking them off the fence and sitting the pots in a deep tray of water and see what happens. if you water from above it will go straight through ‘cos it’s dry so best let water soak the soil from below.

3 Likes

Cheers mate, that’s what i figured. Personally I think the pots I bought are too small anyway. Might have a replant.

Bugger. I don’t like to keep asking my neighbour, although she’s ok with it.

I have just bought an automatic timed watering system for our garden room

What could go wrong :fountain::house::fountain:

Plants are doing ok this year

Blue plant:

Pink plant:

Repotted a half dead camelia in ericaceous compost, look like it might flower for first time in 8 or 9 years :crossed_fingers:

Purple Plant:

This concludes my knowledge of different coloured plants :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

I was watering mine every day when we had the heat and the really hot day they still suffered. Clay pots ate very porus so can dry out quicker than plastic as well. The drain hole in the bottom is good to stop roots getting waterlogged but let all the water drain out when you need it !

2 Likes

I do have grit in all my pots to try and retain water but it’s futile in this heat.

you can get a granular gel that swells when water is added and slowly releases water over a period. not tried it though

1 Like

ohh that sounds good. We did go to a local garden ctr today but then decided to leave it until after our hols, otherwise we might be in the same boat. Did see these those, says they are an autumn flower.

1 Like

DP

Just replaced the flush on my toilet that’s been broken (though functioning) since December 2015.

It was a colossal pain in the arse, and the flush button doesn’t fit terribly well… but I guess it’s better.

7 Likes

Anyone good at Meccano? :man_shrugging:

6 Likes

Started on the garden kitchen. Got a bulk bad of stone coming, just threw a few bags down to hold the membrane down. Slightly under estimated the size of the BBQ. Got a pizza oven to go next to it yet.

16 Likes

Which festivals are you appearing at next summer then?! :joy:

That’s frickin commercial size!

1 Like

My wife did question why the most anti social man going has the biggest BBQ ever invented.

Was a costco special. Its mostly cast iron and weighs almost as much as me. Which is why its sitting on a 3 inch thick concrete pad.

You can shut the chimneys down and use it as a smoker. So I can spend 4 hours smoking a beef brisket for my family to turn the nose up and say they dont like it.

12 Likes

Blimey that looks like a serious setup :clap:

1 Like

I spent 2hrs on roast topside this lunchtime and the feckers didn’t come home until 7.

1 Like

That’s a beast. We’re the opposite way round, the wife wants to buy a barbeque and I don’t. Don’t see the point on buying something we’ll never use to clutter the patio. Seems pretty pointless firing a barbeque up just for tbe two of us. Steak is better fryed anyhow :man_shrugging:.

2 Likes

I’m kind of in the same mode of thinking - too much hassle for 2 people. I’d be more likely to use an outdoor pizza oven.

1 Like