More DIY & Gardening numptiness

yeh - looked at lots of plans from kits to DIY stuff but just never got around to doing it. some of the kits are bloody expensive

Pizza stone makes a big difference, chuck that on the bbq see if that gets you there

They are but I’ve just done a faro bit of research.

This one is tempting me a lot. It’s a hundred quid cheaper than the Ooni, comes with a paddle and has a ‘safe’ silicone outer. It was a Which best buy.

The fact is you can’t make a pizza like this using indoor kit. It doesn’t get hot enough. And I love pizza.

2 Likes

Was going to build a table for the pizza oven but then remembered i had this. Spent ages putting it back together to discover the oven doesnt fit .

Which is good a this is ugly.

2 Likes

Baking steel. I couldn’t justify an oven and we still like pizza in winter :wink: so I went the baking steel route. It’s hungry on oven power but it works really well. Still need to try the steel on the bbq.

And despite my purist African roots, I have gone to a gas bbq for the simplicity of it with just the two of us. Best thing I’ve bought in the new house. It’s great!

3 Likes

Nah that’s not quite the same. Gives the crust that hot temp, but not the same as being in a pit of raging fire! :wink:

Yeah I’m gas all the way. I just don’t have the patience for charcoal or wood or all that.

If anyone is interested in proper Pompeii pizza oven building…

But you’re talking a year or two to build one in your spare time.

Maybe if I built it inside my paincave it could heat my winter training sessions.

1 Like

So I learned that Potato tomatoes are a thing (they’re not really toms, but are in the same family hence the resemblance).

Apparently this is how you get actual potato seeds. Who knew. Pretty unusual for the potato plant to actually pollinate and produce the fruit.

Every day is a school day!

11 Likes

With your hand there for - scaling purposes - we now know that they are about the size of a tennis ball.

Every day is a school day indeed :grin:.

15 Likes

The elements I’ve replaced look very blown (some lava next to a broken element). Just had a rear, there is a thermal cut out fuse which could have blown (looks like it would be an oven out job. Not sure if your boost is seperare from your main element, so could there be 2 fuses ?
I would take the oven out and do a bit of continity testing (once its unplugged) and if not luck then probably take it to a local white goods servicing shop.

1 Like

nice - don’t seem them often.

A few weeks ago, I gave my mum’s hedge a quick trim.

While I was there, her neighbour asked me for a quote to do his.

So, I gave him the same price as my mum, FOC. :wink:
(As all my mum’s neighbours are good to her.)

And he gave me a cold beer. :sunglasses:

This was ‘after’ and as I needed steps to reach the top it was more work than my mum’s.

Back in my own garden this weekend and it was time for a general tidy up.

Filled six bags with cuttings on Saturday and another three on Sunday.

Even through the ‘lawn’ is a barren waste land in places, at least now it is tidy. :wink:

My other job was to work out why the water feature had stopped working.

Traced the problem to the fact an unknown animal had eaten the cable! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Thankfully, the cut was near the plug end and there was more than enough slack.

I dismantled the plug and rewired it.

And, as if by magic, the water returned. :sunglasses:

And finally, I had this little robin keeping me company all weekend.

As I was edging the lawn, he/she would peck away at any bugs/ants now within reach.

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

18 Likes

Hacked pyrolytic (self cleaning) oven :wink: Hacked = stopping the oven from locking the door during the cleaning cycle.

1 Like

The equivalent Ooni is the Koda 12 which can be had for £240 quid. Are you comparing to the Karu 16?

That Gozney one only does 12" pizzas.

Plus you can get a peel from Aldi for a tenner.

1 Like

Oh is it only a 12? I had a feeling that would be the case, but stopped looking into it. Fair enough then.

In any case, i don’t think it’s going anywhere. Mrs GB has set off on a home, well garden, improvement rampage and pizza oven is not top of her list.

She’s just ordered some more garden chairs, coffee table and bench and is wanting a new outdoor dining set of some sort. We have my bro, his family and my mum (unfortunately - but that’s one for Blackpool) coming down (for the first time in years) so she’s wanting to get it all looking nice :roll_eyes: They’re farmers. My brother lives in a static caravan on his wife’s family’s farm which he made an ‘extension’ for using random stuff from the farm. He really isn’t going to notice or care about our decking not looking ‘appealing’. But hey ho, i know which battles to pursue, and this is not one!! haha.

9 Likes

Its funny when I said I wanted to get one my wife wasnt remotely interested in it. Then she meets up with a friend who tells about their pizza oven they got and how great it is and how they never order takeway anymore because the pizza is so good. Suddenly my wife is all for it and nagging me to get it set up.

5 Likes

So all this talk of pizza ovens which one has turned out to be the best - OONI? Think I’d go down the wood fired route, as I’ve no idea whether I’d have to get a big gas bottle and where you get them from?
I make my own pizzas, done in the conventional oven, but I bet they’d taste even better in a pizza oven.

I would imagine by the time you’ve started the oven up, go indoors, make your pizza, then oven would then be at the right temperature! I think it’s something I would use all year round.

Ooni are probably the best of the cheaper end. They are between 200 and 250 for a 12 inch. 16 are a lot more.

Wood is traditional but gas is much more convenient and yes you will need a big bottle.

Mine is dual fuel although the gas burner is an add on at about 60 quid. Im going to see how I get on with wood.

Just built a table for mine. Its a bit high but optimised for my height.

13 Likes