More DIY & Gardening numptiness

There’s a pile of Cotswold stone at the bottom of the garden; it was a result of having an extra window put in the living room. I didn’t want the builders just using it on another job or flogging it! I have undertaken to rebuild the rock garden this year; silly me!

This weekend I did put up a shelf and finally mounted the cordless vacuum cleaner mount on a wall :sweat_smile: I’ve done enough decorating (sanding/painting) this past few months to last me a few years. Unfortunately with it being an old house, it will be more regular than hoped.

2 Likes

Got into our new house just before Xmas. Still partially living out of boxes. Guttering and drainage are causing me grief presently. Down pipe from the guttering on the rear flat roof doesn’t reach the drain at ground level, but instead goes a couple of metres along the wall and discharges the rainwater all over the patio (and presumably down into the foundations). Why would anyone do this? Pessimisticly, I fear that they is a problem with the drain emptying into the sewer. All this rain we’re having is very quickly filling the 100 litre water butt I purchased as a stop-gap before calling in the drainage professionals.

1 Like

Still cant see this thread. But here is Little Ones room, stage 1

1 Like

Stage 1 complete, Stage on Saturday is to sand the gloss skirting boards and caulk like a madman before the skimmer arrives on Monday.

Skirting sanded (took hours), caulking done. Biggest ball ache so far has been finding homes for all the bits n bobs in both rooms. Anyway, skimming starts tomorrow for 3 days, then it’s two weeks drying, then the ‘fun’ can begin,ugh.

2 Likes

Ooh, I can join in this thread now, on the weekend I took all of the paint off of the window sill outside the front window and fillered in all of the holes, tonight is sanding it down and prepping it for a few coats of paint.

I also ripped down all of the overhanging bushes and shrubs into our rear garden from the land behind, there is a 6ft wall and a fence on top but I want to put a more secure/trellis type fence above the wall.

and the final few bits were ordered for my tri bike i’m building…

1 Like

I climbed on the roof of my extension and cleared 3 bucket’s worth of plant matter and funk from the gutter and one side of the roof … well all that i could reach with a garden rake!

Then i hung out of the 3rd storey bay window, stood on the sill and managed to collect some junk from that gutter as well. Good job i do a bit of indoor climbing innit! hahah!!

3rd storey? Do you live in a stately home or a block of flats?

well it’s the 3rd level. but does ground count as number 1 or zero?
Not just normal upstairs, but upstairs upstairs.
Clear as mud.

Well, it’s the same as 3rd floor isn’t it? Who uses storey unless they’re talking about car parks? :sweat_smile:

1 Like

haha … true!

But now we can ascertain you live in a ‘town house’ :upside_down_face:

Or an old house/villa?

this

1905 old workers cottage that used to serve the manor house down the road. 4 skinny, terraced little cottages.

Used to live in a skinny terrace down Robin Hoods Bay, the kitchen wasn’t even in the house!
It was a little outbuilding just over a cobbled path.

We walked past it recently - obvs the old kitchen is now an AirBnB type thing for these Guardian reading wanking (sorry, walking) types and the old house has some cottage plaque thing on the wall.

1 Like

Presumably the plaque was commemorating your residence there, for services to fashion etc? :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Actually i’m slightly (very) wrong. Someone told me a porky!

A quick google discovered this … though probably not of any interest whatsoever to anyone else!! :rofl:

The research work needed for the local heritage project has uncoveredsome fascinating historical facts. For example, Frewins, a cul-de-sac of Arts and Crafts style houses in Bedlands Lane, Budleigh Salterton has connections with the suffragette movement.In 1913 the Budleigh SaltertonNational Union of Women’s Suffrage Society was affiliated to the South-Western Federation of the National Union of Women’s Suffrage Societies and its Secretary was Miss Ethel Frewin Mathieson of Otterbourne, Coastguard Road,Budleigh Salterton. This was anon-militant society, founded by Millicent Gareth Fawcett. Miss Mathieson resignedher post inthe Budleigh Saltertonbranch to become secretary of the South-Western Federation and she also sat on the main National Executive in London. At that time, before the First World War, a woman’s place was strictly in the home so she must have been a very forceful and remarkable character to accomplish all she did. She lived in Otterbourne until her mother died in 1921, moved away but cameback in 1947 to Hale Lodge, Westfield Close. She died in 1954 at the Cottage Hospital. Miss Mathieson and her sister, Mrs. Wales, were interested in the Arts and Crafts Movement. At this time the new Letchworth Garden City was being built and this had much influence on the movement. On 11thDecember1911 Miss Mathieson bought a field at the top of Bedlands Lane, Budleigh Salterton. The land, known as Bedlands, was owned by Jane Connett of Chard, Somerset. Miss Mathieson hired Cecil Hignett, who had been an assistant architectto the architects who designed Letchworth. His brief was to build a group of terraced cottages with allotments, incorporating garden city principles. The houses were for local people with a rent of no more than two and sixpence. Are these the first affordable houses built in Budleigh Salterton for the open market in contrast to the Mark Rolle buildings built for estate employees? The houses were built by a firm of Exmouth builders from red brick with red tiled roofs in the Arts and Crafts style. The ground floor ceilings were unusual in design as the beams were positioned to act as ceilings and also as the floor to the next storey. The stairway was designed to fit into a small cupboard space. The doors and cupboards were made of pine. Unfortunately MissMathieson’s money ran out and the houses were left with no plaster!

That explains the look sof bewliderment that every builder gives us when they’re doing stuff to the floor/ceilings!! haha

1 Like

Have you done the plastering yet?

Who are you talking to?

haha don’t worry, I can see what you are referring to now.

Touch up time

1 Like