Most comprehensive UK event list?

They should look where they are going then

6 Likes

Yeah afraid not, triathlons are done on upright bikes or whatever the correct term is. Can you borrow one or buy a crappy one like I did for my first event?

yes, you can get fixies with brakes - usually only on the front wheel - but if road racing that doesn’t make them any safer as you still need to bring the rear wheel to a rapid stop if needed and that’s where safety is compromised. track racing is totally different so not comparable with road racing.

rules state that brakes are needed on each wheel

if you want to check the BTF rules on bikes - https://www.britishtriathlon.org/britain/documents/events/competition-rules/british-triathlon-competition-rules-2020.pdf - specifically 5.2

Maximum braking performance is limited by traction, and traction on the front wheel, the back wheel has no traction at maximum braking ('cos the weight goes forward) fine to make the rules whatever you want and require normal brakes and a freewheel though, any rules are reasonable when it’s your sport.

The rules do say you can ask to run fixed - “competitors wishing to use fixed wheel bikes must
submit a request to the British Triathlon Technical Committee for approval at least 30 days before the event;” ? And only say “a brake must be on both wheels” ? A fixed wheel is a brake in most usage, so that would suffice to meet that. Are you saying the tech committee would always decline?

yes, I understand about the braking of fixies but my point on safety in road races is someone being able to do the braking correctly. 2 brakes and a freewheel I would argue is safer than a single front brake and the back end deciding where it wants to go when under full brakeage on the front.

yes, riders can apply to the Tech Committee to ride a fixie - whether they would grant an exception would depend on the strength of application. But I can’t say I have heard a) of any application, and b) if so, whether it was granted or declined. Certainly never had a fixie rock up at any events I’ve been at with or without an exception.

1 Like

I believe there’s quite a few videos demonstrating the ability of triathletes to brake correctly!

3 Likes