Name a design classic that has affected you

Fair point, well made, or so my carer said :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That really did make me laugh

Chapeau

2 Likes

A guy at the gym has an xf.

V8?

Depreciated like mad… I’ll retire in a few years, I’d like a jag in my old… old age .

2 Likes

None of those things at all.

… but then I’m not sure what has

1 Like

I remember trundling back from town on the bus with this LP in an Our Price bag.

I’d never heard the band before, but I’d recently got into New Order and found out they were virtually the same band, with a different singer.

I expected something New Order-Ish and synth-y, but the record sleeve hinted at something very different. Played it, and my mind was blown.

The sleeve design is now a true design classic (it’s the pulse waves from a dying star), the band and songs mean a lot to me even now 40 years later.

6 Likes

I was immediately minded to jump on the Porsche 911 bandwagon with Mungo; I have wanted one for years and am now on the brink of getting one, only the insecurity of the pandemic has stopped me this year.

But actually, this Rotring 800 series pencil is something I use pretty much every day of my life. It was gifted to me by my wife and might actually be my most prized possession.

7 Likes

Had a chat with a guy last week while running. His brother used to work for a company who built them, apparently he has 4 of them, 2 track and 2 road bikes. I would dearly love one of these

2 Likes

I’ve owned a 1984 3.2 Porsche 911 Carrera, complete with Whale tail. I regret selling it (second kid came along). This and the E-type are the 2 most beautiful cars ever produced

My dad started his carreer as a young engineer working on Concorde’s undercarrage. Concord used to fly over my house twice a day if the wind was in the right direction. The most important aircraft ever produced

But my is much more humble, but has totally changed my life… the Garmin 910XT. This was my first sports watch, and it accompanied me into the world of triathlon. Without it I highly doubt that I would have become so obsessed with this sport. By providing real time feedback and keeping a structured record of my training, Garmin tapped into my psyche which fueld my addiction

3 Likes

The London Tube map.
Motorway signs.
Bialetti Moka pot

4 Likes

I must admit, and I might be in a group of one here, but I think the e-type is absolutely gopping, I have never liked them.

The XKSS however is my absolute dream car, as with the 911, its probably the McQueen connection that seals the deal.

My mind was blown when I realised that the oxo stock cubes were shaped with the excess foil so that you could crumble the cube before tipping it into your pan/jug necessitating better absorption into your liquid of choice. Genius design.

2 Likes

The first ‘design’ that I remember affecting me was this…

Positive - It was something that I really wanted based on what it looked like. :sunglasses:

Negative - I came to realise we were (first world) poor and I was never going to get one. :cry:

Cheers,

Paul ‘Never one of the cool kids’ L. :wink:

11 Likes

Two gear levers?

Also on the posh mechanical pencil theme; my Graf von Faber Castell 0.7. Had it 10 years now, and never took it to the office for fear of losing a ridiculously expensive pencil :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Anyone else strut about in one of these aged 13. Probably the first ‘fashion’ item of clothing I owned…

4 Likes

Hah Same!

My posh Rotring never leaves the house, I use a £10 Rotring at work.

1 Like

Which model ?

Porsche not pencil !

It moves with the times, gen 2 997 in the sights currently, 2WD PDK in preference.

1 Like

Bizarre love triangle is my go to turbo song when things get tough.

Bern is awful live, but the whole thing just works, there is nothing more iconic than “ the order” in full flow.

I will take those memories to my grave.

My brother bought the gen 1… yep it had the scoring issue, he lost 11 k in as many months.

He actually sold it too we buy any car!

Gen 2 doesn’t have these issues, but choose wisely.

Nice thing