Near Death Experiences on bike

That’s grim. A rider was hit by a lorry and killed in a Time Trial on the A303 near here, must be 15+ years ago. Late evening, low sun.

It’s a fairly decent argument TBH and I don’t say people shouldn’t, it’s just that I don’t anymore.

1 Like

the guy that bought my old Pinarello TT bike was a stalwart of Andover Wheelers, he sent me an invite to a TT on the A303 but I politely declined.

1 Like

@Matthew_Spooner have you tried the Garmin Varia? Won’t stop you from being hit from behind but I find the radar letting me know when a vehicle is coming and the closing speed a big reassurance in feeling like I have a little more control and knowledge of what is happening around me.

Also stops you being surprised when a car passes close from behind that you hadn’t realised was there.

1 Like

My fun moment was about 20 years ago now. On a main single carriageway road with shops either side of the road. No traffic in front on my side, queue of a few cars waiting to turn across my path into a side road, first one goes, no issues, second follows, just about time to get across then the third starts to pull across. I hit the brakes and end up stopping the bike just in front of them but went over the bars and land with one arm on the bonnet, one on the front wing and fall to the floor.

This is where it goes downhill quite rapidly as instead of letting me get up and swear at them they decide to drive off, trouble is that I’m under the car, fortunately I managed to turn my head out of the way of the front nearside wheel but can’t move my arm and so they drive over my arm breaking it in five places. They drove off, I shouted out in pain and no-one ever faced the courts for it.

2 Likes

I’ve not used that but I never ride without my Fly6. Had it for years and use it on every ride, even the mtb.

As I think I’ve said elsewhere it’s one of those bits of kit I’d never have thought I needed till I got it.

Great for the Hampshire lanes as you can ride side by side with a mate on the quieter roads and it’ll alert you that a car is coming so you can slip into single file to allow car through with minimal agro and fuss on all sides.

1 Like

You lot could successfully put me off riding on the roads.

I got hit by a bus which decided to pull out from a stop without looking. I had the choice to move out into fast flowing traffic or hit the bus. I ricocheted down the side of the bus before going over in the road once it had gone past me. No injury but shook me up.

That’s a bloody horrible story!

2 Likes

Jesus!

Near death was the request :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Years ago while riding solo I was forced to take the ditch when a car overtook up ahead, wasn’t hurt but freaked me out.

As a parent with 4 young children the bike is on the turbo and will be staying there.

2 Likes

Lots of stories of shit driving, which i’m sure we’ve all experienced…. but sometimes it can be your own fault….

I was coming down a steep windy descent just outside Girona, and overcooked a left hand corner a ‘bit’, being caught out by the tightness of the bend…. and crossed the central line (I was probably doing north of 45kph chasing to catch a big lad who had got away from me downhill), to find a car coming straight towards me. To this day, I don’t know how I missed the car. Scared the shit out of me. Total idiot error, and would have been 100% my fault.

6 Likes

Yes, made a few cockups of my own and ended in ditches etc but at least it’s your fault.

Came around a corner one evening last summer (I think) on what is normally a pretty quiet stretch.

There was a stationary S3 Discovery on my side of the road, a tractor trailer in the field entrance to the right, and a Volvo Estate negotiating the gap with the Disco.

Turns out they’d left an Iain sized gap between them but I nearly shat as the options were back of Disco, Tractor Trailer, Front of Volvo or Gap. Gap / Front of Volvo were where instinct went (there was no conscious decision) but it’s one I still think about when coming onto a blind corner, and I take that one FAR more timidly than I used to.

1 Like

I still have scar from one such cock up from about 24 years ago. Was into MTB as a teen and living near the south downs offered plenty of trails. We would usually get on and off the downs via Butts Lane, a pretty decent hill. One days was coming down fast and there was a strong side wind. I was leaning into the wind, turned a corner and suddenly trees shielding the wind and I went flying into the verge and hit a tree.

Glasses broke and took a gash out of my nose. Bike went flying and the handlebars ended up wedge on the top bar. Took a fair few whacks to un wedge them

Funnily enough was the last time I ever fell off my bike

Saw this on IG the other day as well, looks frightening.

And people say that Helmets don’t save lives. Great (scary) picture

1 Like

I was doing a lovely fast descent with superb sight lines on a day of perfect conditions, hardly any traffic. Thought I was Nibali….

……and decided to try this supertuck thing that the pros do. Got down and could feel it was really unstable and I should get back into a normal position. But my arse was sort of wedged under the saddle, and to free it I was going to have to jerk it forward which was really going to make me even more unstable and bring in all sorts of wobble that I had no chance of controlling.

So, terrified, I had to hit the anchors both carefully enough to stay stable but hard enough to scrub enough speed off to be able to get back out from under the saddle. Probably only a few seconds, but it felt like hours.

Needless to say only supertucks since have been on Zwift :rofl::rofl::rofl:

13 Likes

So you’re the reason they banned the pros doing it…!

3 Likes