NFL chat

Oddly I love the game most when it’s a low scoring, attritional battle of two running offences.

2 Likes

Ha, yes those A Football life programmes are addictive aren’t they.

Predicting a Chiefs win I think

1 Like

@TROSaracen – Super Bowl XVII in 1983 was the first game I saw live on TV and, at the time, I didn’t appreciate the skills involved in running ‘hard yards’. Afterall, John Riggins and the Washington O-line made it look so easy (I also watched a documentary about him).

Whereas, these days I can appreciate the tactics I see unfolding on the field, on both sides of the ball, which will determine what kind of game it is.

@Adam – The New Heights podcast is enough for me to cheer for the Chiefs. The fact the Chiefs found a way to stop the Ravens, on the road, suggests that “Spags” will have a plan for the 49ers too. Although, it would be a fairytale ending for Brock Purdy if he managed to win it.

1 Like

It always amazes me how recently the Super Bowl started.

It feels like an integral part of US culture, so you imagine it starting a lot earlier than the 1960s :man_shrugging:

1 Like

By comparison…

UK
1872 - 1st FA Cup for football
1872 - 1st Claret Jug for golf
1879 - 1st Calcutta Cup for rugby

USA
1881 - Gun fight at the OK Corral :cowboy_hat_face:

:wink:

Jokes aside, American football has been played since the 1920s, but the current Super Bowl format didn’t start until two rival leagues (now AFC & NFC) were merged in the 60s.

There is a fascinating book, by Rich Cohen, called “Monsters: The 1985 Chicago Bears and the Wild Heart of Football” which gives a lot of background into the early teams and how the NFL was formed.

4 Likes

Good game so far, 49ers defence has been outstanding. Mahomes has to come out and get some points on the board!

2 Likes

Definitely a defence heavy game, with so many ‘3 & outs’ on both sides.

But another tense game with all to play for as the clock ran out. :sunglasses:

Viva Las Vegas!

College football dates back way further than that!

3 Likes

Finally got round to buying a ‘toy’ mini replica helmet now I’ve got my own space in the house.

Wanted one for a while, quite pleased with it!

7 Likes

Nice (altho bad recent history for the Giants!)

I really need to sort some shelving and cabinetry in my outside office and training space. Mainly to store all the stuff that’s currently visible in stacked boxes, but I also want some shelves to put bits like this on display. I have both my old helmets from playing days, and I’d also like to get a couple of my old shirts framed (definitely my GB students one). They’re the sort of things that wouldn’t be appreciated at all in the main house, so that seems a logical location.

1 Like