Open water swim season starting

I guess it depends upon whether OW swimming is “swimming” or a “form of water sports practised on open waterways” :man_shrugging:

Swimming

Outdoor swimming pools cannot open at this time.

Water sports

You can go to the beach as long as you are alone, with your household, or with 1 other person from outside your household and staying 2 metres apart at all times. You should not share a private vehicle with anyone outside your own household and you should follow social distancing guidelines when encountering others.

All forms of water sports practised on open waterways, including sailing, windsurfing, canoeing, rowing, kayaking, surfing, paddle-boarding and the use of privately owned motorised craft (in line with the guidance issued by the relevant navigation authority) are allowed.

You are allowed to visit venues like a sailing club to exercise. You should only do so alone, with members of your household or with 1 person from another household as long as you can remain 2 metres away from them. You should check ahead to ensure that these facilities are open and prepared to receive visitors.

Also, I’m surprised to hear that there are pay to swim OW venues which don’t have any safety cover. All the ones around me do.

I’m thinking that covers OW swimming in an organised environment.

That would be my reading also. Rules like these have to be interpreted using the context in which the statements actually made were intended, and how they should logically apply to other similar situations. It’s impossible to have exhaustive lists, and seeking to do so creates a rod for your own back.

I agree that you can’t write rules for every possible eventuality but, as r0bh has pasted, to have a section on Swimming and a section on Water Sports (practiced on open water) but not mention Open Water Swimming in either seems a strange oversight or it’s been deliberately left out as it’s still being debated.

1 Like

ETA - maybe the key word is “on” as opposed to “in” open water. With my sinky legs I’m firmly a member of the “in” category.

1 Like

Kingsbury lake is open for anyone near Tamworth/Coleshill

Interim advice for venues has come out but it doesn’t include anything about water safety or rescue situations, which is still being finalised.
They advise that venues should remain closed until this is published and there’s a Zoom next week to discuss/feedback.

1 Like

Redricks Lake bear Harlow has sessions on most days.

£5 a session

Might pop over next week once my legs are ruined from running

2020 OW cherry popped with 25 mins in the sea at Felixstowe. Also first swim of any sort and first trip in the car for 6 weeks, making it a hell of an exciting evening :grinning:

3 Likes

Interesting that so many venues are opening up already. But then you’re talking about BTF or general open water venues?

Merchant Taylor’s lake was measured at 17°C today, first session is tomorrow AM.

The advice that has come out is from Swim England who seem to be taking the lead whilst working in conjunction with BTF & RLSS.

You have to download the document and get to page 7 of 9 to find the bit about not opening so they’re not exactly shouting it.

That’s a quick turnaround since Wednesday, probably won’t venture there quite yet though

Edit - not quite the same place I was thinking of, part of the same group of water though it seems

1 Like

Ive just contacted them and paid membership, I may be able to see availability tomorrow afternoon.

I live just up the road from you and use Divers Cove in Godstone. They emailed saying they’re opening for a few hours a day from tomorrow and maybe longer if the demand is there so it may be worth looking at

2 Likes

I swam today. It was very well organised. Coloured cones to separate, and leave your stuff at. Water was perfect. Just did a quick 30 minute swim. Next weekend I am taking my daughter who is super keen.

2 Likes

I know quite a few from my club who go there. They’ve always said its amazing. Issue for me is needing a car.

If the Docks or Shepperton were to open, I’m almost certain I’d be straight on my bike to get in the water. Sod any thought of “training”…I just miss the tranquility of it

1 Like

I used to swim at Thorpe Lake - I was often the only one early season, swimming with the sun going down…millionaire’s lake swim. :+1::+1:

Yeah i did that with a mate on the sea last summer, for my one and only swim :man_facepalming:t3:

But it was mirror flat, sun setting behind the cliffs. Smell of bbq on the air. It was gorgeous. Need to do that more often this year, not for training but just for the tranquility!

1 Like

That was also where I started out. Shame it’s no more. But it’s the same people who run the Docks, so that’s why I still quite like going there. My check-in band thing snapped last year. It’s the same one I’d been using since 2013/14 or so

1 Like