Outlaw 2013 vs The Surface of Mercury

And that cobbled bit! I’d have got off and walked :grimacing:

1 Like

Think I said before that my hottest event that I can remember was the Alpine Challenge sportive in Bright, Victoria. It’s in a ski resort area (in summer) about 7hrs south of Sydney. Hot AF in Australia Day weekend.

It’s 215km with 4.6k of elevation and the mercury one year hit 45C and had 70% drop out. (at the 140km point you go back through the start town, so the temptation to quit is strong!)

The year after they brought in a rule that said if the temp was 36C or over by midday the day before, it gets shortened to 140. They following year it 35C the day before. :smile:

Those two times were enough for me. It’s a lovely town but if I never see it again it’ll be too soon. Over 12hrs both times IIRC

2 Likes

2011 Forestman, started in thick fog, arm warmers on start of bike, ~35c on the ridge mid afternoon. Was like a zombie apocalypse on the loop by 4pm. It even eclipsed the heat of 2010, just…although 2010 was whole day heat, not just 11am >

2 Likes

Challenge Vichy 2012. 42 degrees and horrific.

They changed the full distance to the half because of the heat. It was my first half and I just remember standing under hosepipes at every aid station. Non-wetsuit swim and only one section of shade on the run.

3 Likes

It’s funny how your mind plays tricks with you. I deferred that year, and remember being super glad that I did. I’d just come back from a training camp in the Algarve the day before, and was still cooking despite having spent a week in warm weather. I was certain it must have been 30+, as I was definitely in shorts and t-shirt watching, and remember sweating buckets.

Yet it was 23!! :see_no_evil::joy:

2 Likes

I did it that year and it certainly felt warmer, the problem was that it was about the first warm snap of the year, my last long run in the buildup was about 3 weeks earlier, sub 0 and the odd flake of snow :cold_face:

I knew I had it somewhere. The photo of the temp in my car after nearly disintegrating at Vichy. (Yes I know my car was super dusty!)

I think I took that about 3 or 4 hours after finishing.

3 Likes

Outlaw 2013, I was there. Veteran, survivor, the day the sun exploded.

It was hot on that run, but I think it was more because maybe it hadn’t been a particularly warm year - or was that Bolton the year before.

Anyway, my argument still stands, it hadn’t been a warm year, albeit it could have been 2012.

1 Like

I just wasted 10 minutes of life trying to find out what the temperature was in Alpe de Huez on 29th July 2011, which is the hottest race I recall doing

Not as hot as I thought, 23C in Bourg de Oisans and 27C in Grenoble.

Sure it felt hotter :sunny:

Edit July 2019 we went on holiday to Sardinia, temp was high 30s, I ran each day sometimes mid afternoon and love it. Hat and sunglasses,plenty of sun cream, what’s not to like?

But one guy in my running club did Marathon de sables and claims that the temperature peaked at 51C in a dry river bed in the Moroccan Sahara. Now that’s too hot. He was never quite the same after either

3 Likes

It was fairly warm in 2010 as well, bearable though I think. Plus I was only 40 and weighed a bit less!

3 Likes