Platinum jubilee on Sunday

I’ve never felt myself a ‘subject’ or ‘subjugated’ in any way, nor a royalist in truth…. but like many I suspect, I secretly admire the Queen for her quiet dedication and commitment to the role, and subtle statesmanship.

70 years of maintaining her hectic schedule and workload is something that I respect enormously.

Congrats ‘yer Maj!

12 Likes

Similar here, I’m not really a fan of the royal family but at least outwardly she’s always carried herself very well unlike some of them.

Some people might envy her, big palaces, servants etc., but I’d be horrified that pretty much from the day you are born you are going to be followed, scrutinised and if you are in line you’ve got pretty much your entire life mapped out already, but if you’ve been brainwashed into that from a young age you probably don’t know any different.

5 Likes

Let’s hope Harry & Meghan keep their heads down on this.

3 Likes

It’s the way the press go on about them that really annoys me. No doubt they’re doing what they can and should be doing (other than Andrew obviously) and as individuals I don’t really care either way. But the coverage absolutely sickens me. Even today the radio was on about how the queen isolated during lockdown like the rest of us - Windsor Castle is a 1000 room castle in 13000 acres of land with an army of servants and support staff. That’s nothing like almost anyone else on earth. I don’t expect the queen to move into a two-up/two-down during lockdown but neither do I want her efforts portrayed as exceptional.

4 Likes

Yes I used to think ‘they haven’t done a day’s work in their lives - lucky bastards’.

Probably more likely now to think ‘they haven’t had a day’s freedom in their lives - poor sods’.

I feel for Chuck most, groomed for a role all his life, his mum’s his boss at work and I get the feeling he knows she doesn’t think he’s up to it, and she’s thus better off soldiering on.

Fair play to her Maj, mind. I wouldn’t be surprised if things start unravelling a bit when she’s gone. Incredible to think almost the entire population were not alive, or too young to remember the last Coronation.

9 Likes

FTFY

3 Likes

I was a gurgling 3 month old when Her Maj got crowned in 1953. I still have my Coronation mug which I think all kids got.

2 Likes

I didn’t think the vast majority of British were subjects? I think those who fit in that category is very limited.

Not a huge fan of “royalty” but i am not a republican either…i think the queen has been outstanding and, other than Anne, i think the remainder have been less than the sum of their parts at the very best…

4 Likes

Agree with Anne, Kate and William seem to make a good effort; Edward and Sophie have dropped into a decent supporting role, he’s done a lot better since she joined him, not a great few years for him around the time Fergie joined the firm.

3 Likes

The French had the right idea on both religion and the monarchy - ideas past their sell-by date that should not supersede the state.

2 Likes

Boris as leader of everything? hmmmm

1 Like

I remember Princess Anne falling off a horse into the water in a competition. It made my old man happy for weeks​:grinning::rofl:

2 Likes

70 years on the throne is a remarkable achievement and one that is never likely to be seen again.

Charles is going to be a very old man when he takes over and in all probability William will be too.

3 Likes

So we’re really celebrating George 6th’s death? Is that right? that’s what’s happening today?

(as in I thought you normally celebrated a monarchs reign on the anniversary of their jubilee, not on the day their parent (or whoever) died)

2 Likes

I’m very much in the Rebulican side. It’s outdated and stupid. A Head of State you have to be born into.

I do think the Queen has done a sterling job though, the rest are a bunch of wasters.

5 Likes

think of the potential alternative - president liar or president bliar…

that said, the monarchy may have run its course…

1 Like

Yeah I’m not a fan of any alternate ideas either really.

1 Like

It’s not a life I’d want, for sure. But I’d like to think I’d make a better fist of it than Andrew and Harry! Tbh I’d be the reluctant royal like Eddy I think.

1 Like

Yeah… once queen goes think it’s time to shut up shop

3 Likes