Podcasts - watcha listening to?

Trying out the Tridot podcasts. 1 or 2 on running were okay, the rest just seem to be marketing material.

Nothing new here, classic American style but relaxing listening

Mark Steel’s In Town.

Informative, entertaining & gently mocking.

2 Likes

This is really good: “Doomsday Watch explores the geopolitical threats of tomorrow with Arthur Snell, former diplomat and head of the International section of the UK’s anti-terrorist programme Prevent.”

The Wolf & Owl - Tom Davis & Romesh Ranganathan is now my go to podcast.

Not really any format other than they have some email queries, other than that, just general chat.

2 Likes

Just seen that Marathon Talk is ending this week after 12 years. Not listened to it for ages but it was one of my every week pods back in the day.

Always wonder how long IM Talk will keep going…

1 Like

I would bet on Bev moving on. I properly love IM Talk.

But he’s carried on for years now whilst having very little involvement with triathlon!

True and I hope they carry on for a lot longer.

I’ve been really enjoying The Darknet Diaries of late.

Quite a lot of tales from people who do penetration testing which :exploding_head:… the kind of thing I think would be fascinating to do, but isn’t something I could do. While it claims to be ‘tales form the dark side of the internet’ I’m not sure it’s all that dark. Though there have been some episodes that were.

I could listen to in our time all day and night - they are good to doze off too. Particularly like all the classical stuff

Natalie Haynes standing up for the classics is fun too - her run through of The IIliad and her take on Sophocles’ development of drama - is a blast

1 Like

Some good links to add to my ever-growing list, cheers

Couple of BBC shows I’ve enjoyed recently

The Coming Storm (QAnon) BBC Sounds - The Coming Storm - Available Episodes

Think with (Stephen) Pinker

1 Like

Always an entertaining listen, the last episode of The Social Distance Podcast is a cracker.

4 Likes

Is that someone you know?

Not personally. I appear to be following him on Twitter somehow.

Trail and Error (which is hard to relate to because one of the hosts regularly wins races)

Runners on Trail, much more mid pack related.

Didn’t follow him, but also had a few recommendations/retweets for this new podcast

This is absolutely no reflection on you @AndyG , but…

I listened to this at work & - unless I was distracted at the interesting parts - I don’t think he brought anything new to me & thought he was a bit of a waffler.

1 Like

I actually thought it was pretty good, didn’t tell me anything I didn’t know already but if you didn’t it was an end to end guide for someone in under an hour.

Edit:
The only thing I thought was missing or not explained very well was the justification for maxing out on calorie intake. He estimated something like a 7 minute drop without any additional calories on a 3 hr time which seems not a lot for consuming over a 1000 Calories.

1 Like
If you've listened to the podcast already.....

I hadn’t wanted to mention specifics while others were still to listen to it but the idea of taking on 100g of carb/hour for a marathon seemed a helluva undertaking. Also his understanding of how many carbs some gels have didn’t seem to add up.

1 Like