Politics

I grew up in Rishi Sunak’s constituency (was William Hague when I last voted there and Leon Brittan before that) and I think people probably have similar views there and it’s across the board.

It’s rural Yorkshire and there’s very few immigrants there, so I think that’s just a fear of the unknown, stoked by the media. There aren’t too many “big” employers around there (apart from the Army), so lots of people are self employed or work for small businesses, so channeling Thatcherism in their outlook to hard graft and self-sufficiency.

3 Likes

Im in Chislehurst which is very affluent. Many aging, set in their ways . Previously i was in Old Bexley and Sidcup, Ted Heaths old seat and i thought that would change when he retired but seems not even though the area has gone proper downhill. It also with a fair splattering of immigrants as well but I guess not enough get to vote further diluting the voting pool to the older wealthier bunch.

2 Likes

Younger people are less likely to vote too.

1 Like

I’m not fully familiar with the local politics of where we live now - MP is Tory but has been LD in the past. It’s not valleys enough for Labour or maybe Plaid Cymru.

Where we lived in Sussex it was pretty much Tory land although Hastings as part of the constituency has helped to swing it Labour in the past and have come close in the last but one election when Amber Rudd was MP - she clung on by about 400 votes before leaving at last GE.

1 Like

Less ‘retired with paid-off mortgages’, and more ‘affluent, and on the happier side of the line between comfortable and uncomfortable financially’. Perhaps better presented as not so well equipped with empathy skills, and a bit of an “i’m alright Jack” attitude…… lots of farmers too, who traditionally have leant right in most cases.

4 Likes

Well, we fall into that category; but imho the current Govt are mainly a “bunch of c**ts”.

That said, there are still some sane Tories about, but generally sidelined under the current puppet cabinet.

4 Likes

:rofl:

5 Likes

Government are supposed to be reinstating the triple lock next year. Hmm, nothing to do with an election about 14 months later is it? And most pensioners can remember that far!

But the tax paying workers have to suck it up and not expect a payrise :rage:

5 Likes

So a 12% rise in pension due to sky high inflation.

Think they’re hoping it stays around 10% by the time it is implemented.

They’ve obviously found about £8 billion of spare change left over from Covid!

Or perhaps they think it might be somebody else’s problem :thinking:

2 Likes

Bojo and Rishi shaking the money tree :money_with_wings:

2 Likes

It can’t have any roots left!

And sheer coincidence it was announced just before tomorrow’s by-elections, I’m sure :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Yeah, got lucky there haven’t they!

Oliver Dowden: “someone has to take responsibility”

Ouch. Tick tock…

5 Likes

pointing a finger there methinks

4 Likes

Quite the opposite “someone has to take responsibilty”, “I resign”. Carefully worded resignation letter not to definitively call out anyone else, but still also able to say he did call out the pm.

3 Likes

Also his letter was pre-typed ahead of time, with the day in the date handwritten after :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

5 Likes

They make a right pair.

9 Likes

Johnson desperately checking the ticket that Priti gave him to check it’s not just one way

6 Likes