Politics

Do the GOP have an alternative to Trump?

GW Bush could actually do the decent thing for once, and support/bank roll a credible opponent.

1 Like

The big rival to Trump is de Santiago - governor of Florida - seems to be trying to out Trump Trump in some respects

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/jun/21/trump-desantis-2024-president-win

the problem with DeSantis is that heā€™s cut from very much the same cloth as Trump so is just continuing what is wrong with the GOP - anti-lib, pro-gun, anti-abortion etc.

imho the GOP need to reform their stance on many matters to appeal to those who maybe reluctant Dem voters 'cos they hate Trump but I donā€™t hold out much hope of that

1 Like

DeSantis would be dangerous as heā€™s more intelligent and more focused than Trump.

Instead of change their platform to appeal to more voters the Rs plan is to exploit the anti democratic aspects of US elections and try to remain in power with the support of a minority of the people. Very dangerous times ahead

1 Like

Iā€™m 70 next year and I fear my years left on this planet will have me constanly railing at idiots in charge of world affairs who seem to have lost any sense of reality and humility. Whatever happened to real statesmanship? I hated Thatcher with a passion (still do 'cos of some of her policies) but ffs she (personally) was nowhere near as bad as the bunch we have now (and recently) and even Reagan is starting to look like he had a brain when it was clear he really didnā€™t have much up top.

Personalities in charge of politics is never a good mix unless your nameā€™s Zelinsky

9 Likes

The Democrats need a new candidate; Biden wonā€™t get another term at his age surely. Notwithstanding heā€™s not been great in any case.

Diesel must be tipping over Ā£2/litre in some towns/cities now? Seems like a big psychological barrier; will the Govt be forced to do something I wonder. Itā€™s gone up about 30p in the last 3 months hasnā€™t it; and it was expensive back then.

I remember in Lockdown 1 it was 1.01/litre in the village! We need another Pandemic :see_no_evil:

4 Likes

Ā£2.06 here last week, down to a bargain Ā£1.99 today.

1 Like

see it at 1.99 yesterday, same garage was ~1.48 in Feb give or take. Even petrol, my new fiat cost 40 to fill up when we bought it in October, now its 60

2 Likes

Which Fiat, a 500? (surely your head would pop out of the sunroof in one of those!)

3 Likes

yes bought a fiat 500 hybrid in October brand new. It was a discontinued model that they registered as a 71 plate end of September obviously to clear the books and reduced heavily! Got it cheaper than a 3 year old one they had in the same garage :man_shrugging: easily 50-60 mpg about town! Its just about OK, enough room to drive. panoramic roof is fine but if you pull the curtain across I am very close :wink:

3 Likes

Iā€™m imagining you channeling Hightower in Police Academy and ripping out the driverā€™s seat and sitting in the back :roll_eyes: :rofl:

10 Likes

Bit late to this particular discussion but couldnā€™t resist this from Bette Midlerā€™s Twitter:

7 Likes

Eek!

Oh well - itā€™s been nice knowing you all

:scotland: āœ‚ :england:

12 Likes

Another once in a generation vote :rofl:

5 Likes

Youā€™ll be sold a pup, just like Brexit was. Lots of nationalistic hot air. Better together.

This will be another goal for Putin too. Watch all the internet trolls come out on SM in support of Independence.

6 Likes

I have a fantastic idea for this.
Itā€™s gone down a treat when other places have tried it.

Independent Scotā€™s move to Norn Iron.
All the unionists move to Scotland.

Problem solved.

4 Likes

Just going to rebuild Hadrianā€™s wall! You can keep Newcastle :rofl:

6 Likes

The two times Iā€™ve been to Scotland Iā€™ve encountered two major issues

1. Midgies
  2. Scots

My solution solves for the latter.
Immediately making it more tolerable :wink:

(Just to be clear, thatā€™s a wink emoji and Iā€™m joking :kissing_heart::scotland:)

3 Likes

I think with the tories and bojo as PM thereā€™s a scary chance that this might happen. It was pretty close last time

2 Likes