POLL: Do you live in the Dark Ages and have "Spare Change"?

He’s a local in the village - one of those jobs where he can do some “creative accounting”… :wink:

If I don’t know them I do like you and pay by bank transfer or Paypal.

We’ve got an old sweetie jar that we’ve filled with loose change for a good few years. I don’t think anything has been added to it for many months now, as we just don’t use cash at all.

Its reached the stage where being given cash is a PITA, and i’ve got over finding it awkward to make a small payment with contactless now I have NFC on my watch.

No idea when or how the hell I am going to get several hundred quid in 2, 5 and 10p pieces banked!

Mrs FB walked out of a shop in a neighbouring village recently as they wanted to charge her a £1 for a contactless transaction that was less than their minimum £5 spend of cards. she left the goods on the counter and told them to stick it.

afaik, that charge is illegal. a retailer can set a minimum spend for a card transaction but is not allowed to charge for processing it.

Ditto. Need to use it up.

I have a £1 coin in a key ring fob. It comes in useful for lockers at the pool and for trolleys Lidl and, well, that’s it really.

No wait, also for tossing to see who goes first at croquet.

5 Likes

I don’t carry 1p, 2p or 5p coins so they all get chucked in a box and paid into bank when it’s full. It’s a surprisingly effective savings scheme.
All the rest are fair game although I haven’t used much change since Covid as shops prefer you not to. (Except my local chippy which is still cash only)

i used to do this in an old shell case…saving hundreds at a time. …

An HGV1 driver i know stopped smoking and put the money he used to use to buy ciggies into a jar…he saved thousands which he used to support his daughters gymnastics/cheer leading career…

3 Likes

My mum tried to send me a cheque a few weeks back :open_mouth:

Coins have their place for teaching young kids the value of money. Paying with a card and looking at numbers on a screen is too abstract. When my son went from counting the number of coins he had, to actually valuing some more than others, it was a big step. Saving up, adding up and calculating change are all easier with physical coins.

4 Likes

i’ve just sent my sister one…in the hope that she won’t cash it :slight_smile:

Bag of cash in the car for parking etc.

I stuck out for years refusing to go cashless, mainly as it helped budgetting (I’d draw cash out for everyday stuff for the month and that would be it).

Drew out March’s and over lockdown cracked, went largely cashless and still have most of March’s notes in the wallet.

I did have some loose change in the car - but it got posted into the CD player in an attempt to give the car “super speed”…

5 Likes

We did this with Little One and some great shopping board games that use coins.

Like this big boy payment from Western Power you mean? (deffo not been sat on the island since April! :joy:)

DUDE!

I can just take a photo of them, upload it to my bank app and they are cashed!

2 Likes

up to £500 with my bank… above that is a PITA

GoHenry is not a solution, it’s horribly expensive, and it’s really not great for the kids to have everything they spend surveilled by their family.

I almost never spend anything anywhere other than the supermarket, so don’t have change. My phone case has folding money inside it just in case - but it rarely seems to come out.

I assume @gingerbongo’s is now sitting swelling your nike shoe savings account now then?

1 Like

:rofl:

If it costs me £3.69 to keep taking the mick out of @Poet on here in a regular basis, then that’s money well spent! :rofl:

5 Likes

Change in a small box in the kitchen, change in the kids wallets/purse/piggy banks.

My 6 year old twins have a star board but also like to earn cold hard cash for helping out. No got the same effect for them if I Monzo it to them :rofl:

1 Like

yeah we have a stack of 5 x £1 coins for the little one’s weekly task (which has actually vanished the last few weeks). The same 5 (coins) rotate every few weeks. When she earns her 5, we match it with another 5 and we’ll order her something that she wants online, as we don’t go into shops with the kids much anymore. Then the pounds go back on top of the fridge. Think one of them may be an old coin as well!

2 Likes