Private Medical and Dental Insurers


Can anyone recommend providers?

My new employer has decided that I can’t have these because I missed the deadline when I was off sick with Covid. :roll_eyes:. Dental will be mostly to cover my teenagers braces, medical - we pander to every foible our kids think they are dying of, and the mental health support lines would be good.


1 Like

I have had experience of Vitality and Axa. Vitality had a lot of extra benefits, especially for sporty people as you get cinema tickets etc if you reach steps or do exercise. But when it comes to claims, rubbish.

With Axa now and they have been very good. Takes a little while to answer the phone but I have no trouble with claims, and they gave me 20 physio sessions instead of 10 because they have been so bad at answering the phone.

From what you mention though some things you will need closely at with regards to the cover. The mental health cover is for over 18s only. Wasnt sure if you mean it for yourself or your kids.

Im not sure many dental plans cover orthodontics either, unless it meats the same criteria as the NHS - which basically means only if it causes issues, not for cosmetic reasons. That may have only been my plan.

1 Like

I have nothing but good things to say about Aviva and the 3rd party rehab services when my back ops were happening. It was via my job at Ericsson but I thought they were very good.

Some years ago now though.


I have Vitality through work. Very happy with it. Only really needed it twice, both times had a video GP call within 48 hours. Got MRI on knee plus consultation for £100 excess.
Get £100 off Garmin device every 3 years, Plus cinema tickets for activities.


How about pricing?

I tried a quote from Vitality no expectations but significantly more than I would’ve paid through my employer.

I had them both through employer so no idea Im afraid.

1 Like

I’m afraid you’re always going to pay more by yourself than you would through an employer. The employer has the portfolio benefit of a much bigger pool of people, so the young, fit people who never make a claim subsidise the oldies and the hypochondriacs :roll_eyes:


I guess I should have titled it Privately Paid For Private Medical Insurance :laughing:

Yeah, this. I don’t think you’re ever going to get anywhere near a corporate policy on which you’ll likely only be incurring the tax on the BIK. Even at the pre-tax price they might show on your payslip / P11D, as Whisk says, the company are splitting the total cost over a whole host of employees.

I used to use my bupa outpatient allowance at my last job pretty regularly. I’d hazard a guess that 75% of the head office probably forgot they were even paying for it. I was getting the benefit of them contributing to my (and the other 25%'s) cover costs