Qualifying Standards

I’m not at all savvy with WC / European qualification slots, as I’ll never make it, but hearing about how they rolled down at Bolton, does this not make a mockery of the Championships themselves? I always thought they were for the quickest, non-professional competitors who have earned their right to be there. Not for say, someone like me, who has completed it and no-one else wanted the place? Is my understanding wrong?

1 Like

No that’s how I feel Homer. Happy with some degree of roll down, but think unlimited rolldowns takes away the prestige, especially from 70.3 races with less uptake.

One word… Money.
That’s all it boils down too, races bar Kona would be half full in some cases if only the allocated slots were taken.

Agreed. I wouldn’t have felt particularly “proud” of making it to SA last year if you ended up qualifying by finishing 100+ in your AG.

Nice this year is a different matter. I know @Matthew_Spooner had to put in some stellar performances to get a slot. I gamed the system a little bit, knowing that was my only chance, by picking a race that perfectly suited me (pancake flat and fast roads) to mitigate my bike weakness, and thus having to travel further afield. Of the 8 slots in my AG, I got the very last one finishing 9th after only 1 place rolled.

Bolton this year was a little weird. I am genuinely surprised that happened and think it was just a one off oddity. In the grand scheme of things, it’s not that late in the season to make Hawaii logistics unmanageable. Copenhagen is over a month later, and last year next to zero slots rolled.

Blimey, I thought I must be mistaken. Thanks for clarifying. I know a few AG-ers, and am amazed at how they can afford to fly all over the world to be part of these championships, let alone afford the entry fees and buy all the kit that goes with the races. It’s not as though they are dentists!

1 Like

There were several racing at IMUK that had already KQ.
More than I thought would be there, it’s maybe similar to Kona… ish on a hot day! and far enough out to gain from it.
Plus several said before, who did better than expected, that they couldn’t afford it point blank.
5th 50-55 was 11:27 I was 15 th in 11:57 so tight grouping for the oldies

2 Likes

Lapping everyone on the couch I suppose

1 Like

Thanks. Age group qualification has never been something I’ve looked into being solidly mid field in the races I’ve done.

Just looked at my cotswold 113 time from June out of curiosity and it’s just within 115% of the age group winner, but I can’t imagine anyone at BTF would judge it as an impressive performance in comparison to other people who would no doubt be applying for champs spots.

Have to stick at it until I’m hobbling around in my 80s and the only one left in my age group

2 Likes

They will still take your money!!

4 Likes

If you want to do a BTF age group event at middle distance, you’ll probably be allowed to compete.

LONDON 2013 qualifying was utterly bonkers.
The event itself was awful (sprint)
I believe the standard distance was much better.

But if the races can afford to run normally, they don’t need to accept everyone as qualifiers to make sustainable. Could have separate wave of champs/normal race. These 70.3s run every year anyway when they’re not hosting championships.

@Homer
No experience with any BTF events, but again as others have said I get the impression that GB send some of the largest teams of any countries and some are making up numbers rather than being truly international quality.

1 Like

Nothing wrong with single roll down, and especially not with targeting events that suit your strengths.
Agree maybe all the bad hype around Bolton road quality before the event this year put some racers off. Most age groups were taken by top 10 I think, was just a couple that had odd roll downs of final places.

I agree but they would still get more money in entry fees
The organisations that run our races are run as businesses, wether they are for profit or not.
I have no doubt that they have our concerns at heart but it’s still all about the green.
Ironman is a potential gold mine.
The majority of there important decisions certainly seem to be financially based

:thinking:

1 Like

Ishhhh…!

Bolton is selling well apparently…?!?

Now that is a surprise!
You 70.3 ing next year ?

Feedback from Bolton is much better than the hype before the event, I’d recommend it to people so long as they’re up for the hills. I wasn’t completely sold on the Mdot hype mind for the money, preferred Saturday of Outlaw.

Yeah I’m undecided but think likely just a few local races at Oly and 70.3 with no real A race. Only thing to tempt me to go full focus would be to qualify for Taupo 70.3 if it became simple logistically to go.

?
That is very very far away…?!
You have relations there or just up for the 70.3 worlds

Lots doing Bolton again… I’m in two minds…
We’re would you qualify Staffs?

Thinking about a move to Australia next Autumn for 12-24 months. So NZ 70.3 would depend on being able to get there from Aus for a short trip, or if can get a job to start December then a month or two travelling NZ first. Hugely subject to many stars aligning with work, life, partners plans etc before could even think about trying to qualify.

2 Likes

Big plans …
Hope those stars are good to you!