Rant rant rant

My mum had a 4 year fight with ovarian cancer which she eventually lost at 59.

I know lots will have experienced stuff like this.
It’s just awful, I really do hope your guy is living the best life he can in the time he has left

13 Likes

In my parallel TT world we lose somone from the community on average every 84 hours. Brutal.

Be sure to look after yourself mate. This has clearly affected you.

12 Likes

Hope you didn’t misunderstand my post @Mungo2, it was meant to explain that I understand and empathise.
My brother-in-law died several years ago.
Cancer is awful, but when it takes people before their time, it’s absolutely tragic.

4 Likes

Sadly we all die, it’s just a question of when and how.

I have been hesitant to post this Mungo2, frankly as I can’t be arsed with the possible grief knowing that my views, while common globally are niche in Britain. But it may help. If not please forgive me Mungo2.

1. C15 years ago, either I was hallucinating in a fever spike in hospital (infected cut in an ear, produced a golfball on my face), or I nearly died. Did the whole white tunnel thing. Went from extreme pain on the way in, to fresh as a daisy on waking.

At the point of dying, and I know how harsh this sounds as a husband and father, all material things became irrelevant. I was comfy and happy to be ‘going home.’

My point……the hours up to death shouldn’t be feared (if natural causes) for Andy might well be very comfortable as he starts to pass away. And that’s before the MacMillan nurses.

1. My incurable cancer (Myeloma) diagnosis 5 years ago, and Liver diagnosis (fibrosis/chirrosis, they are not sure which).

Liver, I was painted a picture of what liver death looked like, it isn’t pretty. That scared the sh#t out of me. (The how I was to die). Then along came the Myeloma diagnosis, which could, in time, break my spine, ruin my organs etc, but equally about a third of deaths come from pneumonia, more from other infections. I can live with that, given my blood poisoning experience noted above. (The how I would likely die is not so bad, sort of been through broadly similar).

My point, Andy will now know how he is likely to die. The MacMillan nurses and doctors will make him as comfortable as possible.

The issue isn’t death (we all have to face that one day ourselves), but HOW you die. It sounds like Andy has a loving family and might be able to die surrounded by the people he loves and who loves him. That, believe me on this as given my family situation a doctor chatted to me about hospices, is likely worth its weight in gold to Andy.

The bigger question now is how you Mungo2, and Andy’s family and friends come to terms with his impending death. Focus on the HOW, not the death itself, for that is the best any of us can do. Remember part of him will stay with you in your heart.

Hope my babble helps and makes some sort of sense.

3 Likes

It really does help. Your obviously still with us!
Well done
He is on morphine already… not sure if this is good or bad?
But as you say it’s good for him to feel comfortable … he sleeps in a chair leaning forward as this the most comfy position he can’t sleep much as at this stage he’s worried about the financial security of his family.

I’ll be taking an Easter egg for his daughter later, do you take a “ get well soon” card ?!
Ducking hell !

7 Likes

Ahhh I see now!
Sorry.

2 Likes

Morphine is pretty high on the list I am afraid.

I am a social nitwit Mungo2 so don’t listen to me here. But if I were you I would simply listen to whatever he wants to talk about, keep things light, and if appropriate perhaps to divert away if need be, remind Andy of how full his life has been, finding love, achieving stuff, etc.

Money is a constant issue especially as we have no safety net anymore with Universal Credit (which has so many holes in it that you can easily fall through). But we got what we voted for. That’s democracy. I have no answer for that.

1 Like

I’ll strike that method off my list then.

4 Likes

Mrs FP had to endure watching her mother decline over 3yrs and died from stomach cancer when Mrs FP was 17.

My father was diagnosed and was dead 10 days later.

It really is a horrible, horrible disease.

7 Likes

@Mungo2 - Just wanted to quickly suggest a ‘plain’ card (National Trust photo type of thing) and a simple 'Thinking of you ’ message.

$hit news all round.

Take care, Paul.

11 Likes

We’re in the office 2 days a week now. If you are unwell you either turn up on your designated office days or call in sick. No, you can’t WFH, if you’re not well enough to come in, you’re not well enough to work.

Ludicrous

7 Likes

Morrisons steak and ale pasty, not found any steak or ale yet :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Power went off in gym after 9 mins of a planned sled push pull session … everybody out !

Went back 3 hours later after being told it’s all ok … got to the car park … sane again there all pouring out moaning !
M duck duck ducking duck

About to do dr Chris plank / press-ups work out in my man cave !

<unts

10 Likes

I got to the gym and it wouldn’t let me in. Because it’s the 1st and bank holiday my DD will be tomorrow so I was barred! Been a member for probably 12 years at least!

Turning into one of those days, and the weather is putting me in a bad mood :unamused:

10 Likes

F@#£, F@#£, F@#£ A RUBBER DUCK.

JUST GOT MYSELF SETTLED AFTER A LONG FEW METRES WALK FROM KITCHEN. MY GOOD LEG JUST CRACKED ON THE UNDERSIDE OF MY KNEE AND WALKING THOSE FEW METRES WAS IN EXCRUCIATING PAIN.

WOULDN’T BE SO BAD BUT MY OTHER KNEE HAS AN OSTEOARTHRITIS FLARE UP.

TURNING MY KNEE WHILE SITTING IS MILDLY PAINFUL.

STRANDED ON A CHAIR.

SLOGGERS

8 Likes

Bloody post office, 2 self service machines both out of order because they can’t update prices remotely :roll_eyes:

And only 2 staff working because the rest are under false imprisonment :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

10 Likes

I went to the main post office in Worcester city centre (now upstairs in WH Smiths) and all the self service machines were out of action.
There were two staff on the tills and I heard them tell a woman in front of me that they’d turned them off because they kept having to come out to sort things out for people.

4 Likes

I though Fujitsu would have a backdoor that would allow them to do that ?

7 Likes

they do but it miscalculated it

4 Likes

What a POS the England Athletics website is! I’m guessing everyone is trying to get their members to renew today :roll_eyes:

3 Likes