Rant rant rant

Drove me mad yesterday. All we got from our club was this…

No clue as to where this was hidden. What we were actually agreeing to. Not a thing. Just go and login which was a farce too.

2 Likes

They clearly don’t have autoscaling on their website provider! It’s tedious with various timeouts.

Also seen that message but I think I agreed to it in the past as I’m the mug doing the membership.

1 Like

I think my old MacBook is ready for the recycling center. The battery is bulging under the trackpad and the lid won’t shut. I’ve not used it in a few years… it’s been sat under my desk trying to explode it seems. I managed to turn it on and copy all my docs to a stick drive so nothing lost. Guess I should open it up and remove the hard drive?

3 Likes

Stick drive?

Were you out of floppy disks?
:roll_eyes::rofl:

6 Likes

I couldn’t get it to connect to iCloud Drive and was worried that it was a ticking time bomb whilst plugged into the mains. I was having visions of explosive battery packs coating me with flaming acid. So my trusty 100Gb stick saved the day :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I don’t normally look at this thread.

It’s mostly not very ranty is it?

I presume you can’t change an Apple laptop battery yourself and have to send it off and pay a gazillion pounds for it, now that would be worth a rant :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I’d get that out of the house before it combusts!

5 Likes

it’s not a nice trivial replacement, but it’s possible, ungluing and shit though, but already swollen battery is getting a bit late to do this, some risk there.

2 Likes

It’s in the greenhouse now :grin: It’s ancient, maybe 2008 vintage, so not worth any attempt to fix. Time to whip out the hard drive, toast it, and then lob the lot in the council’s small electronics recycling container for shipping to India or some such.

It was just a bit of a surprise to see such an obviously failing and dangerous battery. Check your draws folks. I’ve a few old phones, iPods etc in a draw that I’m now going to recycle, assuming they’re worth nowt on eBay.

3 Likes

I think folks got tired of the CAPS. Most stuff would be better posted on a Mildly Miffed or Ever so Slightly Perturbed thread.

5 Likes

Fame at last !

Probably the best view too.

23 Likes

Very British mild complaints

5 Likes

We’ve seen quite a few at work, very swollen and a few that have leaked :grimacing:

2 Likes

Surely time to whip out the hard drive, label it and stick it in the box of old hard drives?

4 Likes

so actually, that makes the battery swap easier and cheaper - under 20 quid for a working machine that someone could use, I’d feel bad about sending that to the tip, one of the free laptop people could probably still use it.

2 Likes

Hmmm, ok something to think about. I don’t like to dump useable electronics.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Cheers. So I format the hard drive, carefully remove the bulging battery (take that to tip, batteries bin), and donate the laptop (nearest charity is Edinburgh, and I’ll be there in a few weeks). Flawless plan?

4 Likes

Yep!

1 Like

high quality garlic press from Carrefour… snapped in half on first outing

9 Likes