Roof Boxes

Can report back that the box/bar combo survived the ~230 mile trip down to Cornwall @gingerbongo

Last set I used had a whistling noise when cruising at 70/80 mph - cheapo Halfords set were pretty quiet - wouldn’t have known they were on there tbh :+1:t2:

2 Likes

That’s great news. Hopefully the rain has passed through for you now though.

Hope you have a nice holiday!

1 Like

Cheers :beers:

Weather looking a bit iffy over the next few days

Never had a roof box but have had roof bars from the bikes for well over 20 years. I’ve always gone with Thule and for the last few years have had the ‘Aerowing’ with T-track. I love it, as it’s so versatile and quick when swapping fittings.

They’ve only done one product I didn’t like, and that was the 961 Pro Ride, which seemed overly complicated compared to the old Velo Vise unit. I now have one of those models which leaves both wheels on (because I have a mix of disc and rim bikes)

Can’t you hire the roof boxes?

i have no idea.

TBH the bill for all this work we’re having done in the garden is creeping up and up, so i don’t think we’re going to have a penny spare this summer!

You already live in Devon, you don’t need a holiday! (that never got old when I told people I lived on the beach in Sydney. :smile:)

2 Likes

The thing is, its a bit like me living the dream down on the Essex Riviera. You can have too much of a good thing and need to get out there and see the real world from time to time.

3 Likes

see the slums of the world to appreciate home once more! haha

I have to go back to visit the folks … that’s my issue. But they’ve finally seperated so i have two properties to visit now … which do i stay at?! I wanted a cottage or even a glamping pod/yurt type thing as a min hol for the kids. But literally everything is sold out! It’s nuts!

Buy my tent

Dispatch each kid to a parent each and stay at home and realise how simple your life was before breeding. :grin:

3 Likes

Yes you can. This would be the route I’d go as we have no storage space for a roof box!

1 Like

They come with convenient fixings allowing you to store them on top of a car. HTH.

2 Likes

I actually did this for over a year when we had building work done. Only scraped it on the ceiling of one multi story car park in a whole year :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah clever.
Funnily enough I do understand in the increase in fuel consumption when it’s on the roof of the car when you don’t need it. Call me pedantic but I like my money to be spent on things other than fuel that need not be used :woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

That’s the trouble with all these things, they have to be kept somewhere when you’re not using them (which is often the vast majority of the time)
I’ve got a towbar mounted bike rack which is great to use and I like it much better than the Fiamma one that sat on the van tailgate permanently, but it’s a bulky old thing to store when not on the van whereas the Fiamma one was always on there and just forgot about it. Swings & roundabouts.

1 Like

Box made it back to Molesey @gingerbongo

1153 miles and no worries

2 Likes

Top work.

Bank balance has decreed that my purchase will now have to wait for next year :pensive:

1 Like

We struggled to fit everything for our trip. We have a massive 10 man tent that takes up half the boot. Our CRV as no rails and only Thule make a fixing kit that works, and no one stocks.

We do have a tow bar and Thule make something called the easy base. You can soft and hard shell boxes and can also get a fitting to turn it in to a bike rack. Dont think I’ve ever seen one on a car through. Wonder if there is something wrong with it.

Have you tried the vacuum based roof bars? They’d attach to any vehicle I would have thought?

I have a seasucker bike rack that I’ve used for many years without issue. Their EU competitor (treefrog) makes equivalent roof bars: TreeFrog Cross Bars | Sigma Sports

Not cheap by any means, but they’re so quick to attach / detach, and are totally future proof for any change in vehicle you may make, that it might be worth it? The seasucker is easily one of the best purchases I have made. I have never owned my own car, so being able to attach to any kind of car I am hiring is ideal. I will admit the vacuum nature initially had me a little nervous, but after years of using it I have no issues putting multiple thousands of pounds worth of bikes on it for long distances (longest is a trip to France).

3 Likes

Thanks will look at those. The vacuum thing is a but unnerving, but then I’ve seen a pinarello on the back of a ferrari on those so they must be ok. It only be my pants and some food that goes flying if it lets go.