Run focussed Iron distance training

Yeah I get that, but you seem to not to run for ages, then go out and smash what most people would class as a pretty decent time :+1:t3:
And I’m in that house, too. And I’m also aware it really annoys people for whom running doesn’t come naturally. Or those who don’t enjoy running as much.

Talking about @joex - for him to improve his easy aerobic pace to his previous half marathon pace isn’t to be sniffed at :blush::facepunch:t3:
That takes work, just for some people, it comes far easier

4 Likes

I’d say, from experience, that an intense run plan will lead to injury. Quickly.
You can still get the anaerobic work in on the bike, without stressing the muscles and skeleton as much.
I abhor hard work on the bike, because it’s shit.
I’d much rather do it running or in the pool, but the best place to do it is the bike, as it’s the most gains for the least work.
That work does carry over to the run.
You can improve your run speed off just three runs totalling 2hrs 15mins per week, so long as you do the bike work (30mins easy, 45mins steady, 1hr easy. That’s it…or so the theory goes)

I enjoy running though.
So am poorly placed to answer this :see_no_evil:

absolutely, but that improvement is from aerobic benefits - does he have more - what we need to identify is if he’s at an aerobic limit when running, if he’s not, then any aerobic benefits will likely help, and that’s easier on the bike ('cos you can do more without it hurting as you say in the next post) but if he is, then he needs to run more - identifying it is the problem.

2 Likes

It’s a bleak message but you gotta put yourself in the bin and carry on running. I feel that for me I will at some point be reduced to what I call survival pace, Ironman shuffle and if that is 10 min miles or 12 min miles makes a big difference. The invitation is to stop at the aid stations, they are natural stepping stones to getting to the finish line but how many aid stations do you go through on your training run? Stopping every 2 miles just eats up your time.
It don’t matter what your training plan is if on race day you add in a dozen stops …as Macca said “Bike for show run for dough”
If you are going to Lanza and want my two pence worth, which to be honest is worth nothing, go into Christmas fit and light, you gotta be ready for end of April so that’s 4 winter months of hard work. It is hard to simulate the bike but it’s gonna be 6-7 hours with hills, wind and heat followed by running 3-4 hours in wind and heat. Every minute of that is worth it!

2 Likes

I have a hankering and also some plane tickets… Hopefully see you there :crossed_fingers:

How often do you run?

1 Like

Still working for the IM Lanza sales team @NickBerry?
ETA: Sorry Nick, it wasn’t you but @Duckhen. Apologies, in mitigation I’m on the trainer using phone.

1 Like

Slightly concerned about ending up stuck with plane tickets but no race, just have to see I guess.

For what it is worth, I went from run being my worst discipline, to run being my least-worst discipline. Just stopped swimming and riding for a few years. This made my swimming and riding so bad, that running was no longer the weakest link :neutral_face:

That’s probably not the right answer is it?

3 Likes

Yup Lanza is a great event recommend it to anyone. Having said that Wales takes some beating,

2 Likes

Lanza is a bit of a red herring, as its a special course and the most in need of a strong bike. Even then, the average run in 2019 M45-49 was within a few minutes of 4h30, same as Barca and Switzerland. So people are turning up with the ability to run regardless of the bike course perhaps.

I tried marathon off of Ironman training in 2019, was patchy and didnt get in the run training, set off at 5K GAP slowed to 10k and then failed miserably at 23km after setting a half mara PB :smiley:

2020 I was on track with half PBs until four weeks out and the pandemic shut it down.

Q1 2019 2-3h easy-moderate running per week (+4-6h turbo, 1.5-2h swim)
Q1 2020 4-5h in three hard run days per week, (+2-3h turbo/swim, 1h lifting)

I have a few principles I want to apply;
most physiological benefits are from long runs only 1h45-2h (at my weight 78-80kg),
train each discipline a minimum 3/wk,
3 hard days per week, 4 absolute max

So my outline plan would be something of a hybrid from 2019/2020;

Q1 2021 3-4h in three hard run days per week, 3-5h easy to moderate turbo, 1.5-2h swim, 0.5h lifting

Id flex this so I still get in say a couple of 30k runs and 5h bikes. And the somewhat arbitrary goal is a run split at or below 4h30

1 Like

3/wk, I had only two weeks of no running this year when I did a bike focussed block in July and gained 20W.

What do you class as ‘3 hard run days per week’. Surely running hard 3 days is going to ruin you? Given you can’t do them back2back, when will you recover?

1 Like

Interval runs at or just faster than 5k pace, tempo runs at or just faster than 10k, and long runs at marathon pace +10-20s/km. Any one felt like a hard session.

Worked fine this year, except I struggled with keeping that pace for some of the long runs, so another reason to plan those shorter.

The easy days then need to be easy; so no vo2 on the bike, mostly longer endurance efforts and below. Maybe sweet spot intervals. Swims less than an hour.

Swim and bike, swim and bike, swim and bike - plus develop a run/walk strategy…

distance? reps? interval?

Ahhh RLRF? Is it possible to still bike a lot off it? I read a lot about it but imagined it would leave me wiped out and probably injured.

That’s pretty much my plan!
But, the three “hard” days per week - I just do one hard run and one hard bike, swimming you can sort of get away with - just make sure on the day you do the CSS swim session, you’re doing a moderate/easy bike and not a longer run afterwards :slight_smile:

Also, spread out the recovery between the harder sessions and longer sessions, maximise the time as much as possible. Like hard run Tue AM, hard bike Thu PM.
The run will be diabolical early doors, but, you will get to know your “awake” vs “early morning” pace pretty quickly.

When you said “hard” do you mean you felt as though the 2hr run was hard?
And also the moderate/tempo ~10km to 1hr one?
Try doing the longest run as a run/walk with 1:00 walking per 9:00 running.

M45-49, yes, lifting is good. As is S&C.
I used to do two gym sessions per week of 20 minutes, then 40 minutes moderate on the WattBike/X-Bike/Spin bike, then a 15-20 pull buoy 1km straight after.
I need to get back into that, but in these times, I can’t get the booking time slots that I’d need!

For someone running those times, I’d personally be looking at getting more running volume in. 80/20 principle. Smashing yourself on 3 days a week is going to be affecting your training on other days. I’d look at running via HR zones. Doing a long run, keeping it zone 2 for the entirety, and possibly add hill sprints or intervals, so 2 sessions per week, then add the volume by easy zone 2 recovery runs for the other days. It can be difficult to run in this zone as it feels so slow. But eventually you will see results and your zone 2 pace will gradually increase, subsequently everything else will follow.

2 Likes

That’s too much hard stuff IMHO, I’d say 1 or 2 per week that are properly hard with everything else reasonably easy. For a winter run focus I’d increase volume/frequency of runs but decrease intensity i.e. more miles at an easier pace, maybe one harder run but otherwise get your intensity on the turbo.

3 Likes

Enjoying this thread guys :+1:t2:

3 Likes

@joex looking at the amount you run and intensity id do more hard stuff on the bike and just concentrate on running easy with increasing volume especially this time of year. Bulk out the run distance by running 15min off bike on bike days. Until you are comfortably running 25-40miles per week quit “sessions”, work on form with strides or appropriate drills in your warm up and just spend time on legs. If you feel good one day as some efforts in but don’t worry too much. You can do this with 6 shorter sessions rather than 3 longer ones also or double run days eventually. There was a slowtwitch thread where the guy had what seemed a good way to not overdo it. Take average weekly mileage over last 2 months and divide by 10. Do 3 sessions X 1 distance 2 x 2 and a long run X3 so 20miles a week that is 2, 4 and 6miles. Progression comes from building long run out, add a hill or interval to one of the 4mile runs after a couple months. Seemed like a reasonable generic starting point. Best I’ve ever run I was doing multiple 7k lunchtime runs a week with a colleague. Some days we’d run harder, some was a social chat but we just ran more.

8 Likes