Running heart rate

sounds positive to me

2 Likes

Yeah TR wont support apple watch HR so i dont get it directly linked to the bike data.

Heres the last few steps

The steps are too short to get valid readings. We sometimes shorten the ramps as the test nears the end but…

This is bike data?

Yep.

Im not sure what we’re looking for here, or what you mean by steps being too short for valud data?

Cheers, Joe

Yep…we prefer 3 mins steps…after OBLA, testers sometimes reduce to 1 min because the lactate is usually rising quickly…

2 Likes

In my recent runs, my heart rate is remaining very low. My pace seems fine, but HR is much lower than expected. Parkrun on Saturday 19m30s HR 148bpm, 10km treadmill run 39m45s HR 138bpm, Intervals last night doing 400m and 800m at 3:30/km max HR was 165bpm. On the other hand I did a slow 8km run @ 5:30/km and my HR was high at 127bpm

Interestingly, on the bike, during Zwift races, I am hitting a pretty high MRH over 180bpm (on Monday, I hit 187bpm)

Is this a sign of fatigue or over training? Is sprinting on the bike reducing my ability to sprint on a run?

At this point, just interested, not worried as I am feeling fine and super fit

2 Likes

I remember in 2019 when we were both running at 12 kph ( 3:30 marathon pace ) at relatively low hr.
I never did get it below 130.
I hope to get near those figures for next year… ish!

You have moved on a level or two and moving well at the moment, I guess it all boils down to fitness and how efficient your body/ running is.
My max was similar in my one and only time up hunters hill this year, I was nearly two stone over tri race weight though, it wasn’t pleasant.

Looking back I think my body learned to function at 12 kph through improved fitness, weight loss and some interval work. It was quite interesting to be honest

Seems unusual, almost always the other way around isn’t it.

There is a certain amount of training hard I have to do to ‘enable’ my HR to go high…but that’s on the bike. And because I quit early.

If you’re using the same HRM, it would suggest to me you can run harder.

I cant recall your times, but have you tried an 18min 5k for example?

1 Like

I did an 18:45 5k in September, Last year I managed a 17:45. I am usually fastest in April as I do weekly interval session from October to May, this year from Nov to end Feb I wasn’t doing any intervals due to metatasel stress fracture, so never really pushed my 5k time

1 Like

I think there’s some sense there then.

3:30/km is 17:30 5K pace, so you’re doing 400s and 800s relatively easy.

eJC on another thread pointed out that taking short intervals at 5k pace was a bit pointless not so long ago and he’s got a point. But is about where you are and where you’re going to - hard interval training probably not fitting into your ultra distance exploits at the moment?

McMillan calculator suggest 3:15-3:20/km 400m training pace for a 3h marathoner looking at a 17:30 5km

it depends on the session objective…

1 Like

Sounds fatigue related to me. Normal fitness related HR/pace improvements I believe to be more progressive.

1 Like

One of my coach’s sessions is:
800m @ 5k pace + 1 min rest + 200m faster + 3 mins rest - repeated 6 times. Though I have to admit, I always do it a bit faster than that…

In fact that’s the one we did this Tuesday. Seems to work OK, one of the guys I train with ran a 14:2x 5k this year!

2 Likes

Just got an alert on my watch, I think it said my max HR has gone down but I can’t find any way to see the notification again, or the max HR setting

Time to resurrect this thread as I’m redoing my baselines.

Garmin threshold test with the HRM Dual this morning gave me 5:31/km 161bpm

I raced in October (two weeks after IM Portugal) an 8km cross country in trail shoes, walked for 1 min uphill. That was 42:29 gaining 167.6m at 5:19/km and 167bpm and I gave my soul to that.

So I’m thinking my threshold pace and HR are both higher than Garmin is estimating?

—-
Edit:

Is 2x3 mins as fast as you can a standard max HR test?

The 80/20 version is a 30 minute / 10k test. Fast as you can and take the average HR for last 20 minutes.

1 Like

30 mins and 10km is too slow for max HR. But maybe that’s what you actually want? How useful is max HR?

But wouldn’t 2x3 minutes be too short given how long it takes for the HR to reach its maximum?

Possibly, if you warmed up properly it might be OK. If I wanted to know max HR I would do it by running to a decent hill but nothing too steep. Gradually build the pace to the bottom then run up it at as hard as I could. Or on track or treadmill, have a decent warm up then look to do a 800m/1km as fast as you can trying to build pace through it.

I think if doing a series of different tests then it is probably more useful but on its own not sure how useful max HR is.

2 Likes

Well I’m sure it’s used in a dozen different zoning models, but it’s used by Firstbeat tech in the Garmin Threshold test to determine a ‘ball park’ for threshold, sets the test HR zones and then analyses the output HRV to narrow down a specific threshold.

It has decided my maxhr to be 182 to date, been using the dual HRM since June ‘21 I think. Or the Fenix.

I think you’re suggesting any progressive ramping up test will get to a max HR, but it needs to such that your legs can still go but your HR won’t increase anymore…I think.