Running - How to run for longevity, health and avoid injury

If you need to strengthen your glutes I would suggest strength training would be better than running drills.

Glute bridges and squats would be good to target those .

Only running drills ive ever really done is strides and occasionally butt kicks and high knees. But i don’t see any great strengthing benefit from those.

4 Likes

Thanks, I’ve been doing some strength work but I’d like to use some drills to make sure I’m using it when I’m running.

1 Like

I’d also echo @GRamsay. I have incorporated 2x 1hour group strength sessions at my local gym into my week. Squats, bench press, dead lifts etc.

Your form is largely your from. Unless you want to relearn how to run. I also don’t see how you can build much strength from soley run training.

N=1 and I’m not a physio but I think it’s a general misconception about weak Glutes - they’re incredibly strong muscles. It’s more about the fact people aren’t using them to the optimal extent when running (I think??).

During rehab for ITB the lightbulb for me was the sensation of the glute activation whilst doing things like single leg glute raises. Then taking that into walking and running - trying to feel the same sensation when running - really worked for me.

That being said I don’t want to knock S&C - squats, deadlifts, bridges and bench press all leave me feeling strong so try to still incorporate that into my general fitness regime.

Back to running - I always do single leg glute bridges before a run just as a reminder to the body.

2 Likes

Also paying attention to stretching - anecdotally I always get hip niggles when I’ve not kept on top of tight hip flexors and lower back from sitting down or lots of focus biking.

4 Likes

Yeah hip flexors are thr bane of my life.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m tightening up good and proper at the mo - usual suspects hips and calves.

Seems some sort of weird coincidence that I’ve not done any yoga in almost 2 x months, no S&C and I’ve started introducing quicker running.

Weird one that. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I think this is what I’m hoping the drills will do. I’ll give the single leg glute bridges a go, thanks :+1:

This might apply but when im doing weights sometimes I cant always recruit the appropriate muscles. Two ways ive tackled it is to do isolation exercises before my main exercise and also just focus my mind on the muscles.

Maybe you could do some light glute work before a run to dial you into and then some strides where you just focus attention on those muscles and not letting your hip drop.

Maybe thats bollocks, im neither a physio or running coach.

1 Like

I should add something else that really helped is standing in front of the mirror and lifting one foot slightly off the ground and trying to remedy the noticeable hip drop by ‘activating’ the muscles around the hip and bum (i.e. try to get a similar sensation to a combination of single glute bridges and clams) before going onto one leg.

Again you then try to take that sensation into how you’re landing when running. For ITB that really helps as it should help from your foot crossing the centre line, because you have better stability to allow it to land more under the hip.

1 Like

hip obllquity (when running) is often caused by weak or inactive glute medes…running drills into running with good form will assist in this because it forces the runner to engage the core…clams and variations on stability planks will also assist.

however, step ups onto a box with a weighted bar and knee drive is probably the best exercise for developing glute meds and core strength. (Up to 3 sets of 12 reps with each leg leading, 3 x a week) start with a broom handle to get form right, progress to argos bar, then Olympic bar, then add weight…

1 Like

why would you want the foot to land under the hip?

I want it to land more towards the hip I should’ve said

i.e. to prevent cross-over

which is something i see much more of that 20 years ago…

I know huge studies have said the same when looking at life expectancy of former pros (except those looking at Germans) but Steve Magness always makes it interesting/accessible.

8 Likes

I’m sure that athletic ability has largely helped their longevity but a quick & random look at some of their wiki pages show that they have also been successful - :dollar: - in their post-athletic careers…that’s gotta help.

1 Like

Interesting. But as @Doonhamer says, there probably are additional reasons for this…

The qrisk3 lifetime cardiovascular risk calculator is nice to play around with.

https://qrisk.org/lifetime/index.php

estimates your risk of developing heart disease or stroke by age 99

see what effect stopping or starting smoking has, gaming or losing a stone etc

3 Likes

Hmm, looks like the best plan is not to live to long or I might get a stroke or heart attack :grimacing:

5 Likes