Running shoes – Maximum distance and breaking in distance?

That’s not correct…uneven wear is caused by the direction of the lateral, horizontal and vertical forces and running surfaces irrespective of the type of shoe…

1 Like

Clarification – Sorry, I didn’t really explain my ‘breaking in’ theory.

In pre-Covid days, I’d wear shoes to work and would always ‘break in’ new pairs.

i.e. Wear them around the house for a bit at a time before wearing for a full day at work.

As, the last thing I wanted was blisters around my needs when either working, or running.

I guess I have extended that theory to running shoes, whether I need to, or not.
(And clearly trainers are a different design, with softer materials than stiff leather. :roll_eyes: )

Hope that makes more sense.

Paul. :slight_smile:

Ok, I’ll restate that: for a given absolute wear on the sole, a level shoe with say 4mm stack will be misaligned much less than one with 20mm at the heel. One fifth of the misalignment in simple unloaded terms, but potentially worse given the destabilisation from compressible midsole.

I prefer lightweight shoes and have the inov8 155 myself, love them. But I can’t wear non-cushioned shoes as I have a Morton’s neuroma in my left foot. I did try it and get what feels like horrible toothache in my foot.

I have the NB minimus trail shoes and they’re fine as the surface is soft.

Here is my current ‘old’ left trainer, after 450km.

Not easy to see in the photo, but biggest wear areas are heel, sole, big toe.

And ‘ran’ for over an hour in my new trainers this morning with no issues. :sunglasses:

Cheers, Paul. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Current stock:

Newton Boco Trail; Jan 21: 27 km so far so good
Merrell Bare Access: Jan 21: 31 km, not flexible enough, disappointing modern variant
Nike Zoom Tempo: Nov 20: 79 km early days, good so far, not good on the ice!
Altra Escalante 2: Aug 20: 248 km ok
Altra Escalante Paris Race: Jan 20: 824 km perhaps too unstructured for my fatigued legs, but they are fast
Nike 4%: Sept 19: 108 km epic
Merrell Trail Glove: Nov 18: 753 km - a great shoe but wearing on lateral midfoot (foot strike)
Altra The One: March 18: 991 km - more to come from this shoe but it has been overshadowed a bit…
Inov 8 X Talon: Nov 16: 398 km - epic

2 Likes

Interesting, I didn’t realise so many recorded how many miles they donin each pair.

Assume you don’t use strava?

Only usually when running or cycling with others but not to track my activity. I use Training Peaks with a free account and copy what I want to from there, my garmin or elemnt bolt into MS Excel for tracking training but never botherd with noting shoes or bike or whatever.

1 Like

Fair enough. Mine is driven from strava. So I add each new pair of shoes, then it’s just a drop down when you upload a run. So always got a track of every pair I’ve had.

2 Likes

I find it interesting how people use the same tools differently. I am a data nerd but also too tight to pay for premium TP, or Strava, but I don’t think I train enough to make it worth while TBH. It just never occurred to me to put that info in, which TP allows.

I look at the cushioning structure, tread wear, support wear and feel. Every trainer is different and depends how and where you run and what conditions are like. There are some rules of thumb, but the runner should be able to feel and see when it’s time to change. Run along now.

2 Likes

strava still thinks i use the same pair of shoes i had 10 years ago…record breaking mileage out of a single pair…i still get reminders to get a new pair…

1 Like