Science Geeks

I’m sure that’s true, assuming we don’t blow ourselves up in the meantime :slight_smile:

I think it’s also important to remind ourselves of the science of 1750 - 1850. It’s less familiar and hardly in the public consciousness but forms the platform on which many of these later theories are based. People like Humphrey Davy and William Herchel are largely forgotten nowadays but were giants of science - Davy especially was akin to a rock star in his lifetime.

1 Like

Ging back a bit further William Harvey.

add to that some of the great discoveries of the fundamentals of science mathematics of that time from people like Nikola Tesla, without whom who we would have no modern society… easily forgotten, but his work is behind everything from the modern electricity network, through electric motors and so much more

2 Likes

Of course, and there’s Hooke, Newton, Gallileo, Mendeleev and many, many others.

My head hurts on these ones but I miss the learning at Christmases… My brother in law is a Materials Science Prof, my sister in law is in high energy physics, and her partner is applied chem and spends enough time at a synchrotron that most of his hair has fallen out.

We had an amazing one in 2019 when the discussion hit string theory and I had to ask (as a charter member of the low IQ club) how they can work in multiple dimensions - my brain starts feeling like someone’s poured sand into a gearbox when you get beyond 4 and I try to visualise.

Andreas’s response was that you don’t need to visualise them, or even believe that they practically exist, just that they make the equations work!

6 Likes

Yeah when I got the bit in Hawkins books talking about M theory and 11 dimensions I couldn’t understand it. Apparently some are curled up so small they can’t be seen. He explained like a drinking straw. From a distance it looks a 2 dimensional object, but bring it closer and you can see its 3 dimensionally, but its curled round.

Multiple dimensions…you all sound like conspiracy theorists!

Further work on the possible 5th force of nature has been done in the US. Their findings have a 4.1 sigma rating, the previous rating from the LHC work was 3. Sigma 5 means a new discovery.

One step closer to ripping up the Standard Model

3 Likes

One of my son’s housemates has randomly acquired a telescope that the university astrophysics dept were getting rid of. Not sure why as they are studying music.

It’s massive and looks like a serious bit of kit, like a cross between a spin dryer and a rocket launcher from the Soviet era.

Here’s a photo of the moon they took last night

Obv I have helpfully told them not to look at the sun- “the sort of mistake you only make twice, once with each eye”- and therefore fully discharged any parental responsibility. Now looking for an excuse to go and visit after nightfall.

19 Likes

Professor Brian Cox wannabes innit :grimacing:

3 Likes

Great picture. I’ve been think about getting a telescope, but there is a bewildering choice from some costing 50 notes to ones costing thousands. Also the light pollution in MK is shocking so wont be able to see much that you cant see already

3 Likes

I got one a couple of Xmas’ ago from the in-laws. Probably cost them £150 notes or so I would guess (haven’t bothered to google it, it was a thoughtful gift as they knew I wanted one). Certainly can’t get the moon as good as the above photo.

Got to get the attachment so I can link it up to the SLR for some pictures.

Presently using it to watch nesting birds in one of our trees.

1 Like

Whilst cycling I’ve noticed a couple of secluded homes here in Deeside with their own mini-observatories in the gardens. Once you’re away from Aberdeen and assuming you’re not in a village then the skies are quite dark up here.

4 Likes

I’m maybe a bit of an outlier but I don’t particularly rate A Brief History of Time. The first third or so is pretty good but then it just goes into speculative maths and theoretical physics for which there is no experimental evidence.

Well yes it does, but Hawking was a theoretical physicist and that was his lifes work. Its why his work never gained him a noble prize as they usually go to discoveries that are provable.

I wonder how many people got past halfway in the peak of its popularity though. In fairness, it’s been many years since I read it so I should probably give it another appraisal.

likewise. I hardly understood it back then - be interesting if I understand any less now!

It is not so much what Hawking did, but what his theories will go on to find/achieve…

If he gets it, it’ll line his career up very nicely. From someone who recruits (and has recruited), a LOT of software engineers, its a near instant pass through the CV sift. Top drawer training, exposure to and with the very best software teams, working on bleeding edge tech, and properly creative environments and cultures. Good luck to him!

2 Likes

This is excellent. I’ve been in software development for 20+ years and I still enjoy it. I think that is important. Commercial software development can be high pressure at times, but it pays well, really fucking well, there are 10 jobs to every engineer, and the sense of creating something and seeing it used is such a good feeling.

As @magnacarter says having one of those names on the CV will get you to the top of the pile. I hired a guy as a graduate, in the interview I had this realisation that he knew more than me, and that was rare. He went on to work for Microsoft after that and since then has moved around a huge range of jobs, it opens a lot of doors.

I hope he gets it. If he wants any advice or to ask some questions of someone in the industry I’m happy to help. I’ve never worked at that sort of company but I think most hiring managers look for the same sort of things. For me its:

Attitude. Willingness to learn, get stuck in, say I don’t know but I will find out etc.

I hate the word passion, but a deep appreciation and understanding of tech, and tech specific to your area. I don’t give a shit if a dev can design and build a network, it’s not their job. But a broad understanding of the fundamentals of programming and a thirst for knowledge.

Problem solving. This is where I think Google and the like will really probe. There is nothing I find more frustrating than a dev saying I don’t know how to do that. Work the problem, even if you get it wrong show that you have tried. I have heard these companies like to ask esoteric questions like how long would it take to move mount Fuji. No one knows the correct answer, but you need to show your problem solving skills and give a reasonable approach. Good luck to your son.

2 Likes