Signal vs WhatsApp

I know a couple of people who’ve fallen foul of inappropriate/private text messages appearing on the “family” iPad because it was sync’d with the Apple ID on the iPhone :rofl:

1 Like

Do you barter labour for grain with local farmer as well? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’m with @stenard on this. I don’t think i really care a huge amount. I don’t have loads of money to steal and i’m not up to any naughty stuff. If ‘the man’ wants to know that a 36yo guy still draws dicks on pictures of his friends for cheap laughs … then so be it.

2 Likes

I work in IT and have done for 20 years. I understand the risks but mitigate where possible. I use all social media pretty much, forums, mobile banking etc. Worst I’ve had is facebook showing me an ad for GoOutdoors 5 minutes after visiting one. My pennies are safe and no one is leasing a ferrari in my name.

Apparently, even GCHQ can’t get into the Blackpool Lounge.

But don’t abuse it, as your Trust Level can be lowered and locked :smile: @gingerbongo

3 Likes

You’d miss my unhelpful ‘bants’ and very limited genuine contribution about running only

But, every ‘family’ needs a cheerful Springer Spaniel bouncing around right? :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Given I was made redundant today, you are probably right. :smile:

I totally get this but we live a life/lifestyle where having things on the clunky side is not a huge disadvantage. If it were, we would change position. But having been highly involved in the setting up and definition of our GDPR contracts and being responsible for the relationship with everyone’s favourite Asian vendor, I guess I’m just a bit too careful.

I don’t even have contactless cards but my bank said that next time there is no choice. I can’t say it’s rational but we aren’t at the point where we live in a cave jumping at shadows, it’s just the level of security that suits us right now. In the future it may change of course.

1 Like

I was like that for a long time, and even sent some back when they got changed to contactless after saying I didnt want it. But after other banks forced them on me, I now like it. I used to use Android Pay instead, as at least you needed to get into my phone to use that, but now just prefer the cards

I worked in banking when we went from just cheque guarantee cards, to cash cards, then combined the two and finally added Switch (as it was then called)
People resisted at every stage, I can remember conversations with customers who feared being forced to divulge their PIN and didn’t want a cash or switch card for that reason.

Switch :sunglasses:

I remember when I first moved to Germany in 2006, finding it quaint that you still had to sign a receipt; the Americans were the same.

1 Like

I feel the “I have nothing to hide so it doesn’t bother me” argument is IMHO a lazy reason for not caring about privacy. Whilst right now you might sit on the right side of your governments policies and agenda, who is to say it will always be that way?

Or as good ol’ Ed says “Arguing that you don’t care about the right to privacy because you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don’t care about free speech because you have nothing to say.”

All that said - I still use FB/Twitter/Chrome etc and willingly hand them all my data :man_shrugging:

1 Like

some places on t’continent will still want a PIN or signature if you use contactless - almost like they don’t trust us Brits. wonder why?? :thinking:

already changing - Google are changing T&Cs for Brits if you have an account with them and moving oversight to US and away from the EU as we are leaving under Brexit. this is from the Google mailshot:

“As the United Kingdom (UK) is leaving the European Union (EU), Google LLC will be the service provider for end users in your domain that are based in the UK. Google LLC will be responsible for all user information and data in Additional Services, and for complying with applicable privacy laws.”

Google LLC are based in the US - previous oversight was through Google Ireland.

1 Like

Bit of an old thread that appeared as a suggested topic, it’s probably been stalking my other conversations.

A few friends are moving from WhatsApp to Signal in recent weeks and I gather Musk & Snowden are also pushing it. This is largely based around the updated T&C’s that FB are pushing for the service where a lot of people think they are tracking more information. But from what I’ve read it doesn’t apply to the UK & EU due to existing laws.

But growth in Signal has exploded, and although I’ve joined I’ll continue with WhatsApp.

Like a couple of others above, these companies know a lot about us already and even though you can be asked to be forgotten we often need a lot of these services to get by these days, such as an email account. And also via work accounts.

Excludes caveman Fatpom of course :joy: although I must admit I do admire your resistance to some of these things.

Especially for someone who’s worked in tech for so long!

1 Like

It’s an art. If I wasn’t paranoid before, working for Larry and a host of telcos, I sure as shit am now with my present job. :rofl:

3 Likes

They are only collecting data so they can target shit at you. It doesn’t bother me. I ve worked in tech for 20 years. If you don’t pay for the product, you are the product. If that means I have to see adds target to what I’ve been talking about then so what.

Although I’m worried about some of the suggestions the Wish adverts show me.

5 Likes

I’ll be more worried when it suggests a Zimmer frame :grimacing:, probably next week at this rate :joy:

How information about you will be used in future against you, your family, your employer, or the state you live within, and who by, is not something we can predict completely or need to predict. Just keep saying no. :+1:

1 Like