Kayaking & Canoes

Any paddlers here? I’ve done various types over the years, from surf kayaking, sit-on in Cyprus right through to river canoeing with the kids. But I would never consider myself a committed paddler. My thought once the kids were old enough was to go for a big Canadian Canoe, but thinking about it after a quick paddle on a sit-on in the Scillies has made me think these are way more versatile. I’m sure when I was growing-up in Plymouth, they were known locally as ‘surf skis’?

I was thinking of starting with a 2+1 ‘tandem’ like the Feel Free Corona 3, so I could take one or both the kids on it on the Wye/Avon; then if that goes well, which I hope it does as they loved the Canadian down the Wye, get another tandem. Longer term I’m thinking weekend trips and coastal paddling (hence the sit-on option). Used prices don’t seem much off new tbh, is that simply because it’s still ‘summer’? I’m going to need a roof-rack anyway.

Thoughts?

On the Wye/Avon, carrying 1 or 2 kids then a Canadian is better, I love paddling a Canadian, and would take one every day over an open kayak, however, I would not take a Canadian into the sea or large expanse of water, because if you do capsize, and are alone, it is pretty difficult (but not impossible) to sort yourself out, while looking after 2 kids. A Canadian is also pretty difficult getting on and off the car alone.

Another consideration is that a single paddle is easier for kids to adapt to, but most figure out a regular kayak paddle pretty quickly

You can also take a Canadian out solo, taking a tandem open kayak out solo is a bit like riding a tandem bike solo

i have what effectively is a racing ski - a sit in kayak - for training for adventure racing, but I really need a proper one to progress. i also have a stumpy thing which is harder than it looks to keep straight…

Prices remain high due to the shortage of supply…although you can pick stuff up from adventure tgn centres quite cheaply (well used though)

Yeah you don’t see surf skis much. I raced them as a junior when I did surf lifesaving. Blinking fast, but super unstable. Had some great times on those.

We have a couple of very crap sit on tops. They’ll be great for when the girls are a tad older, but they’re pretty much square. So you wouldn’t want to be going very far in them!

I also really want to take the kids, when they’re a fair bit older, in a trip for a few days in a Canadian. There’s some wicked trips you can do up in scandinavia that I’ve had my sights on for years. Get dropped up river/lake/Bay depending on which trip, get given the tent, food etc and get picked up 5 days later. Only about 7 years to wait :see_no_evil:

We shoot goat boaters in Sydney. Just saying’ :wink:

You’re not in Straya now though boi! :wink::rofl:

Be careful when you’re on them yonder moors this weekend!!

" Stick to the path" :smile:

2 Likes

I stood behind David Schofield in a Moto Services Costa queue a couple of years ago; but didn’t have the courage to make a quip about the Slaughtered Lamb

You made me miss!” :upside_down_face:

1 Like

There’s a whole generation that have no idea what we’re on about!

1 Like

One of the first films we saw on VHS - scared the sh!t out of me.

:raised_hand:

I have no idea!!!

In the voice of Darth Vader… Millennial scum :wink:

I prefer Gen Y (and i’m only just in there!!) :crazy_face:

I believe Poet talks about ‘identifying’ with generational groups!

Anyway, shouldn’t you guys be regaling tales of epic paddling trips?

Haha -i haven’t been on one yet. It’s on my future plans list, hence the lurking on this thread.

We actually saw a really cool inflatable double kayak the other day, that would be perfect to just muck about with the kids until they’re a bit older. Short on space at the mo, so inflatable would really help things. I don’t want to spend much money in case they hate it and it just gathers dust in the shed!

Inflatables aren’t that cheap either though. I saw someone take one into a calm bay in the Scillies last week, and I could see the hull moving (bending) as they ‘launched’ it into the sea with just 2 kids in it. It put me right off them tbh.

Yeah that’s my biggest worry. And I know they’re not cheap generally, just saw a deal on one in a shop we were passing last week.

“Remember the Alamo” and chucks out the Mexican

I’ve always wanted a kayak/canoe but one of those things I never got round to. I did windsurfing for a while but got rid of all my gear after my son was born as it was a bit of faff to load, unload, rig, unrig for an hour or two of actual sailing.
Having the camper van now I started thinking about this again but wanted something super convenient that I could just throw in for a weekend away and use pretty much straight away without any set-up time. (Didn’t want a roofrack so pop-top could still get under height barriers)
I know the square root of b*gger all about kayaks but came across Playboats and the practical advantage of their size and ease of transporting really ticked boxes for me. I read up enough to know I was getting the completely wrong boat for a beginner but decided to give it a whirl and found one for £200 (Dragorossi Fish), knowing I could get my money back if it didn’t work out.
I fit in it and the spec says I’m within it’s weight range (just!) but my first go wasn’t very auspicious. I took it out on completely flat water and found it very tippy (side to side) and didn’t really have much confidence staying upright. It also sat very low at the back and I was worried about taking on water as I hadn’t used the spraydeck to simplify getting out in a hurry.
I switched to a borrowed sit-on thinking a few sessions practicing on that may be a good idea before trying the Fish again. It felt a little bit twitchy at first but I soon got used to the balance and after a few tips on paddling and locking my feet in better was making some progress.
I’m planning to persevere with it over the summer (using it at our OW swim venue) before deciding to keep it or not.
Any advice or tips (including you’re an idiot, it’ll never work) gratefully received.

I think that Kayak you’ve got is for extreme white water isn’t it i.e. for studs! That could be why you’re finding it particularly difficult to balance and paddle, because it’s super manoeuvrable = twitchy.

I could be wrong, but I think you’ve rocked up for flight school and jumped straight into a Hawk :rofl:

3 Likes