Smart Trainers

The legs don’t fold in, like the full Kickr, H3, Direto etc. The whole unit folds up vertically, but I understand you’d need to take your bike off the trainer in that case.

This might be semantics, and what you meant, but “legs folding in” to me means I can keep the bike on the trainer, have it flush up against a wall, and then to use I just need to lift it out a bit from the wall, pop the legs out sideways for stability, and then crack on.

1 Like

Haha, I find it amazing you don’t plug it in! I have no direct experience of that trainer, but my guess is that the “feel” will be significantly improved if it has power, even if you just use it in resistance mode, and fix the resistance to a set level you like, effectively making it a dumb turbo.

Every smart trainer I’ve used is pretty meh without a power supply. I think only the Neo pitches itself as still relatively decent without a power supply.

1 Like

What is availability like this time round? I was too slow off the mark in Lockdown1.0 and everyone had sold out of everything. I think it was nearly 3 months before things started to come back into stock.

Apparently Sigma sold over £1m of turbos in Lockdown1.0 :open_mouth:

3 Likes

I was just looking at thos Cores and most places were saying late Feb/early March.

Didn’t look at the others though.

1 Like

My mate got one delivered to his house in under 2 weeks.

1 Like

You should be able to read power on your PolarM460 as it picks up Bluetooth - but not Ant+ - but your turbo connects in both Bluetooth & Ant+.

1 Like

Just sussing that out looking on you tube etc.

It should make it better I guess

Just want a power number to look at, not really interested in all the rest of the tech.

It should work ok … my mate will help set it up when we are allowed.

I’m quite late to the power party as well. I started - like you - just wanting something more to look at, but I now find it good to make workouts more focussed.

Today’s turbo was quite focused for me…

But I concur, a lad in our club is a proper boffin, his bike has no front or rear wheel on his trainer, obviously his trainer is wheel off, the front forks rise up and down to coincide with the gradient.

His next thing is a video on a big screen matching we’re he is on the course… he even eats and drinks were the feed stations are…?!

Think he’s doing Frankfurt or some other really easy race…! ( ha ha )

I’m as dumb as my unplugged in dumb trainer when it comes to tech.

1 Like

Yeah. Meant fold it up with the bike off.

Mine currently sits in between the tumble dryer and wall. The legs stick out and for some petty reason it drives my wife up the wall

1 Like

Hamster wheel is fine for us runners/triantelopes.

Yet another tyre/tube issue on the Computrainer tonight.

Am now seriously eyeing up either a Kickr or a Tacx Neo.

Both seem pretty similar

My tyre is nearly done in 10 weeks, conti shop bought one too! £30…!

If I get a wheel off … will i have to turn the power supply on?

1 Like

Well technically you don’t have to but it’ll ride like shite

The Neo advertises that it can be used without power for road side warm ups etc, but there’s no point spending the money on a smart trainer if you don’t turn the power on. As I said for the one you already have, the road feel without power would not be optimal, as Adam said.

I know you said you’re a technophobe, but it really isn’t complex to get full use from them

1 Like

The only thing to be aware of is compatibility.

My Scott Plasma TT frame doesn’t fit the Neo. Tacx have a compatibility chart and there’s a few that don’t work.

And on the kickr, see the latest release from Wahoo (DCR did a post recently) about frame issues there. My Canyon Road bike wouldn’t fit the kickr, although the new shims they’ve now released sounds like it would now fix that.

I went Saris H3. The “other one” of the top 3. No compatibility issues, renowned as the best in terms of erg if you’re using that (it’s Trainerroad’s recommended trainer), and quite a bit cheaper than the other two.

Its not fully silent like the latest kickrs, and doesn’t do the funky road feel or downhill simulation that the Neo does, but I’m liking it. Got mine with wiggle 12% loyalty discount too, so super cheap

3 Likes

Neo works great without power… everything is exactly the same as when powered other than motor drive for simulated downhill riding… your pedalling provides sufficient power to the trainer, so the full bluetooth and ANT+ set up for trainer control and head unit connections works as if it is plugged in.

4 Likes

Wow, interesting. So it actually acts like a dynamo of sorts?! I can see how it’d get sufficient power to output some power numbers etc, but are you saying it can do erg, or grade simulation, with no power? Or just act like an older fluid dumb trainer with a fixed resistance curve?

Yep, just like a dynamo. It operates fully normally, so yes, gradient simulation all work exactly as if you were plugged in. I’ve used it with Zwift a few times without connecting to mains with no problems at all. (at a campsite, inside a tent, with an ipad and 4G tethered mobile :joy:) Not tried erg mode personally, but i’m told it all works just the same.

About the only odd thing is you need to pedal for a few seconds first to create the power to connect to other devices, and it loses the connection if you stop pedalling for more than ~15 seconds or so… but that’s no big deal

6 Likes