Solo Micro Tour de France

I used carbon rims for two of my RAIDs without any problems but no doubt ally would be better in wetter conditions … or move to disc brakes.

Since you’re not racing, descending speed is of no importance. You generally get better views too. I’ve found you soon improve just through riding hairpin after hairpin. Following someone better than yourself is also a good way to improve, especially on picking an optimal line

Not sure you can go too wrong. Whether it’s credit card touring with a wee pannier or frame bag, self drive, or an organised tour it’ll all be great fun.

I can personally recommend Pyrenees Multisport as nice folks with a great cycling base for day rides. But I’ve never done a tour. A Raid or one of their Col bagging trips has always been on my list.

2 Likes

This is definitely true. I found that in my first Alps trip. As well as the tip from a club mate to have the route map and flip your Garmin to the mpa page for any descent. A quick glance to know if a corner is sweeping or tight does make quite a lot of difference (effectively, it replaces a recce)

1 Like

My problems with desceding are avout 30% lack of skill and 70% too scared. Also because of my size I pick up speed quickly and dont want to build too much