Strava

2 Likes

Now I’ve added a few of you, I need to remember who you are when looking at Strava.

1 Like

I’m not on Strava but just read this.

Just seen that too, not bothered about the main features mentioned but I do like the matched rides/runs feature that’s going.

Well that’s a couple of really good features, that got me onto strava many years ago. Really disappointing, I was just checking times of friends on the local bike climbs in anticipation of new bike time. There’s no way I’m paying for premium strava, it’s crap. So I’ ll see how it goes from here on in.

Surely if they add a couple of really good features to premium then premium strava is no longer “crap” :upside_down_face:

I use Strava quite a bit so pay for premium, I pay it not because it gave better features but because I value it and it’s not very expensive. I’ve often thaught Strava gave too much away for free as Strava is not making money seems only logical to alter the balance.

2 Likes

I’m guessing the take-up of their paid services hasn’t gone as well as expected. The analytical tools within those are mostly available elsewhere (GC, TP etc) so the people they were aimed at probably didn’t bother.
Removing segments and leader boards will impact more users and may push them to the paid versions or could put them off all together.
I’ve got to wonder if this doesn’t work, whether the free version will go completely.

I get what you’re saying, but they’ve built their customer base, on some of those core features. To then take it away because the premium features didn’t come off as well as they’d hoped doesn’t strike me as a well thought out business plan. I’m sure people would rather have some more ads, or something similar, than have the core element of the product stripped away from them. Or at least have the choice to pay premium to avoid the ads.

I’m not exactly going to lose sleep over it, but I still think it’s a crappy move.

1 Like

Interesting you say customer as the definition literally means paying for something. Stravas not like Facebook where they get revenue for advertising or selling your data they get nothing for your use other than to populate the segment tables & expand the social net. Don’t know why they haven’t gone gown the advertising route, would like to think they’ve thought it through but their strategy has seemed a bit random recently with the Summit membership stuff.
Garmin has also tried to copy the segments feature but doesn’t seem to have had much traction.

Hey chill it’s fine

" Non-paying users will no longer see the full leaderboard: They’ll only see the top 10 times "

So people of tritalk calibre should notice no difference :wink:

6 Likes

Not sure I’ll lose much sleep over it TBH, most of the segments are well out reach anyway, either done on bikes for run segments, massive tailwinds, there’s almost as much cheating as on Zwift.

I prefer Garmin connect for analysis, and go on Strava more for a social thing so see what other people are doing or sometimes if it helps to find new routes. Only downside of Garmin is that it missed the social side of things by being too late to introduce those things.

An actual race is better than a strava segment.

2 Likes

Fair point we’re subscribers as opposed to customers, but they do use our data. They sell information on routes and footfall etc to city planners and bodies like that. Clearly its not at Facebook level. But they’re not exactly a poor, struggling altruistic company. :joy:

Guess it as inevitable though.

From DC Rainmaker:

Strava is in effect saying: Segments don’t really matter to our business anymore, getting people to pay for them does.

And here’s the worst part: They aren’t necessarily wrong on that specific issue. In a conference call last week, Strava was point-blank clear that if they don’t get more subscribers and become profitable, there’s a pretty good chance there won’t be a Strava in a year.

Is some of that posturing? Probably.

But is the undercurrent of it true? Most likely. You can only run an unprofitable business so long when people stop giving you money

Cant blame them and surprised it has taken this long as they are running in the red still. They havent given much extra for paid users previously so cutting free stuff is a way to get more subs. I’m still not paying though.

Strava is great but I don’t think I’ll ever pay for it. Like someone else said, for me it’s mainly about recording runs & that can be done elsewhere for free.

These are the internet things I pay monthly for:

Spotify
Amazon Prime
Zwift
Tesco delivery

To me they offer value & I don’t know of an obvious free alternative.

Guess they are poor and struggling then!

Still. I’m personally can’t see myself going premium. But that’s not really the point is it?! Though I’ll inevitably go back on my word in a few months time! :joy: :joy:

I’ve used it for 8 years and I’m happy to pay the 4 odd quid a month for it.

Like Hammerer said cant believe it’s taken them this long!

Similar here except Tesco, a lot of my shopping is fairly small and I just go after a run or the gym on an evening.

I was about to cancel Zwift in February, then I’ve used it quite a bit the last few weeks. But whether I’ll keep that up remains to be seen, there’s plenty of good workouts on the Wattbike app if I was racing regularly.

Zwift is a bit of a distraction and fun for now.

I used it for free for years but then last year started to pay for it just to be fair and I like the segments on my watch.