Sub 10 IM Thread

That’s a very good run time. Loads of people can swim 61 or bike 5:18, but how many can back it up with a 3:26 marathon? Not many.

Flail, over-bike, run/walk is how most middle-aged blokes seem to do it. Certainly the continentals. How many times have you done a Euro race to have a steady stream of MAMILs grinding past you at 70rpm after a mediocre swim, only to see them on the run again.

It’s funny - I consider myself a sub 10hr IM guy but realised in the 5 events I have done I have been around 10.05-10.30 on 3 occasions and only sub 10 twice
Once was Roth in 9.20 and once was Copenhagen for 9.40

I did Vichy two years ago and blew up in the heat; swim was non wetsuit and I did 80 mins and then a 4.45 bike (how about that for MAMIL)

Roth was same bike but a 62 min swim and short transitions

Reality is the delta between a good and a bad swim will be 5-15 mins for most people. A bad run can be much more than that
It really is about the run

1 Like

Ha yes. There’s 2h01m between my best & worst IM run :confounded: and my disaster run took longer than the bike! Can anyone beat those stats?

Wowsers. That’s impressive !

The fact remains; a poor run stems from the bike.
It really is all about the bike.

1 Like

My mate did the last Forestman end May, in 14:53. 7hrs 16mins was the run, not quite 50% of his entire race but close… He was duking it out for the lead late in the bike and first 10 miles of the run. And then…BOOM!!!

1 Like

Not quite as bad, but that was my first experience of long course racing too. I did the Forestman in 2011 with a mate, so rather than pacing it, I was racing him. Admittedly I was not as bike fit then as I am now and did around 6 hours on the bike and was absolutely bolloxed when I got into T2. There was then that horrible feeling of walking out of T2 knowing that I was barely going to be able to muster a run and it was a pretty long 5 and a half hour walk. It was a very sobering experience and pretty much the reason why it took me 6 years to try long course racing again and also why I now tend to err on the side of caution on the bike.

4 Likes

To be fair it was 35c on the ridge that day and wasn’t it only Fuzzy Dunlop who ran a sub 4? Hard, long day out.

1 Like

True, but awful pacing made things a lot worse. I still remember getting my final lap band but I think it was still 11 miles to the finish. It’s the only time I’ve had a cry in a race.

2 Likes

I hopped the run in six hours!!! WTF did he do???
I went to casualty the day after with temporary paralysis :see_no_evil: tennis elbow of the hip. Two weeks of super strong drugs, no work and TdF :heart_eyes:

1 Like

But what a fucking place to have a cry :heart_eyes::ok_hand:t4:
After those races, we still went on holiday down there.
I’d have never known just how bloody nice it is down there without that race.

2 Likes

Yes I remember that sign by the turnaround 4, 10,16 or something like that. I said to the guy I’m on my way home, 2hrs later I think it was I got there!l :joy:

1 Like

My 5:31 marathon had very little to do with bike pacing. 40 in the shade does not make for a good run, when the run course has very little of it :pensive: Over 1000 people DNFd that day.

When I was lying down in some shade I found by some steps, I was considering my options; I had to drive home the next day from Frankfurt to Bristol, but I’d also paid a crap-load of money to get there, and invested a lot of time. I wanted to avoid the medical tent too. I’m pretty sure at one point as I slipped in & out of consciousness I was locked in a bamboo cage, being tortured by the Vietcong; that and the helicopter sounds.

You often don’t find out much about yourself when everything goes to plan.

1 Like

The 7 hr 16 minute run included a couple of 45 minute miles where he said he ‘had a little sleep’. Given he ran the first 10 quickly, I’m guessing it was around 5hrs 45mins for last 16 miles.

1 Like

What year was that? I had 2 strong pals who DNF’ed the same year - I imagine that was the one?
2 years ago I did Vichy and it was super hot - no wetsuit swim and on the drive back on the autoroute their were signs to keep hydrated in your car. LOL
Anyway I lacked salt and cramped so badly on the run that at 30km my legs seized and I was on the ground- and people were shuffling over me…it was comical

So fecker just reminded me of Challenge Almere…

…can drive there, it has entries, is under £500 all in and I’m free that weekend.

3 Likes

Be interested to see what you say about it if you do go. It’s hosting the ITU Long Course next year, and I might throw in an entry for that (despite officially not having a full distance race in the time window to apply with - you can submit middle distance times too).

definitely gunning for sub 10 at copenhagen this year with the last two years 10:06 and 10:06!! but two very different races.

if i can repeat last years swim, bike, ( new bike and setup) and repeat 2017’s run then i’m hoping for
56 swim
4:59 bike
3:40 run
T1/T2, less fannying around

anyone else in copenhagen?

4 Likes

For me it was 1:10 swim, 4:55 bike, 3:13 run for a 9:24 total at Roth.
It was my first sub 10 after 4 attempts and it came about due to a revamp in training that was all about lots of running off the bike.
My weekly regime was -
Mon - Swim
Tues - Bike/Run
Wed - Swim
Thurs - Bike/run
Fri - Swim
Sat - Long Bike/ Short Run (up to 1hr)
Sun - Long Run, (up to 24m)

No rest days 'cos my legs got a rest on swim days.
It’s all about the bike and run, the swim has the least gains.

5 Likes