Sub 17 5km Thread

You get that a bit at Albert Park Poet on the second big lap although TBF most people do keep to one side especially if you ask them to, RD usually points it out, especially if they see the 14/15 minute lads at the start.

If you can get to Hartlepool on a calm day it’s a nice out and back, small field, wide path and about 5M of climbing.

Jeff

1 Like

Yeah it’s totally clear in the summer. As with any seafront run, it’s wind dependant.

Not me but Alex Yee did 13:29 at the Diamond League yesterday, and still only came 12th. Impressive running, I suspect the BTA will be trying to build a team round him for future years.

Jeff

Does he need to start a sub 13 thread? I’m sure we could all chip in with advice…

My daughter ran 12.30 today…

Jnr ParkRun :rofl:

ha! Alternatively maybe he just needs pointing to the Vaporfly thread …

1 Like

Just finished reading this thread, and has got me thinking what times are folk posting for 5km at a sprint tri? After reviewing the results of my local sprint tri yesterday in Training Peaks that was 3.6miles long I clocked 18.19 for 5km but have never attempted a straight 5km race. Just curious…

First decent paced session of 2019 rather than aerobic focus of IM. 10x500 undulating with 1:45 recovery. Held 3:25-3:30 pace for all so worked out 1:1 work:rest. Felt nice and controlled as didn’t want to push too hard for injury risk getting back in, so looks good for sub 18, and maybe an assault on sub 17 at some point.

1 Like

I would say so @Chriswim Chris, looks very decent.

@leahnp i haven’t done a tri in a good while, so can’t really help. but i would say most people would be losing a good 60-90 secs. If i was in <17 shape, i think 3.40’s would be a senisble pace to aim at for a sprint tri. Obviously all the usual factors apply like relative strength on the bike etc etc.

I’ve just been out for a 3x2km session off 2.30. And it’s hammering home the fact that i can just about cling on to some semblance of form off 30-40km per week. but i definitely am not increasing/improving!! Though the diet this weekend didn’t really help!!

Thanks @gingerbongo that’s good to know as I hung on for 3.40 pace but would be keen to work on this as my target for next year is a podium at National Level for duathlon as I get bumped up an AG a year early into the 45-50 cat so if I can take advantage of it I will.

2 Likes

Get down to a parkrun. Free, every week, convenient.

Now that I’ve finally got signed up to the new site, I can add my time!

Entered a 5k around Battersea park on a whim on the 15th July, to try and get myself back into proper training having had a month or so of inconsistency. I did a 3000m and a 3000m steeplechase on the track just 2 days before, so wasn’t expecting much.

It was a pretty stacked field, and I decided to go out hard with a group and see how long I could last. These were my km splits - 3:07, 3:11, 3:13, 3:17, 3:14 for a time of 16:02, a new PB by 11 seconds!

Not sure where it came from, certainly wasn’t expecting much faster than ~16:30 on the day. Fingers crossed I can get my head down for a good block of training over the next 6 to 8 weeks and get a fast Autumn HM in and possibly Telford 10k in November.

3 Likes

Let’s be honest here though Sam - you’re a sub 16 runner mate. A little bit of focus and that PB will be tumbling again!

1 Like

Let’s hope so mate, well done on your sub-17 earlier in the year! Any plans to get that sub 1:15 at some point, or are you just focusing on your eclectic mix of 5km training and ultramarathons? :smiley:

I would like to, one day. Just haven’t got the time for that laser focus and discipline at the moment. BUt i’m getting no younger.

So for me exactly what you’ve said. ‘training’ for a 5km, next race is another 100 miler! haha I’ll start beefing up the big runs come September back on the hills.

Which half are you looking at?

I found that a bit slow when I did it about a decade ago. Though it’s billed as a fast one.

Out of interest what were your 3k and s/c times?
Must be tempting to knock another 3 secs off before shifting focus to the half?

3k time was 9:36, a bit of a tactical race to try and help my club get promoted next season! The 3k chase was 10:44… I’m definitely not a chaser :rofl:

Definitely tempting to get the 5km time down below 16, I reckon I’ll give it a crack in a month or so.

1 Like

Interesting thanks. 32:30 last year would have been 115th, so it’s pretty stacked even if it’s not a particularly fast course!

1 Like

Bloody heck!
I only ran a 36:27 back in 2010, that got me 43rd.

It was 5 degrees and snowing when I did it.