Sub-4 Marathon in 2021 thread

I need to find a marathon. Got a ten day snowboarding holiday at the beginning of April so needs to be late March and down south!

1 Like

http://www.marathonrunnersdiary.com/races/uk-marathon-list.php

Iā€™m in for Brighton Full and a maybe for Reading Half.

How does a half marathon time roughly translate into a marathon time?

I did a 1.55 half on a slow course.

1 Like

Depends who you ask, but with training that can go sub 4 for the marathon. The Run Less Run Faster book would have you target 4:01, but they reckon a recent 5k time is more useful to their program than a half time.

Fair play. I should have said that that was a comfortable run. Felt like I could have continued for a while longer at that pace.

Yep. Planning an all out assault at Abingdon in Oct. But am taking a baseline at Newport in April where Iā€™m trying to plan for 5.25/kms

1 Like

I ran a 1.38 at Reading Half back in March. I think GTN said something like, a 1.45 HM and a sub 50 min 10km should be indicative of a sub 4 engine. Donā€™t know how accurate that is though.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s not far off me then. 48min 10k. :+1:

2 Likes

I was 50mins for 10k Novā€™18 so Iā€™m stretching the ā€˜recentlyā€™ element somewhat, but I havenā€™t been well/able to get a 5k in last few weeks as Iā€™d hoped.

1 Like

Iā€™ve struggled with my knee since coming off my bike hard in October but Iā€™ve been doing a lot of strength work.

Done a few short runs recently so hopefully back on the right track. Got a 3hr bike in today which is the most positive thing Iā€™ve done in a while.

I reckon sub 4 should be no problem, 3:30 however will be a long stretch.

2 Likes

If you are doing a 1.38 half you should be aiming nearer to 3:30 with a decent plan. (and make sure you EAT during the race)

Good luck everyone.

Jeff

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what to say. :upside_down_face:

Road benchmarks this year:

feb - Bramley 20 miler was 2.55
feb - Winchester 10km 43.40
March Reading HM 1.38
Oct, Newbury racecourse 10km (very wet/muddy) 45.30

Training for ultras has definitely robbed some speed and I need to up my S&C game for sure.

2 Likes

Oddly, the training for Ultraā€™s Iā€™ve been doing possibly helped, leg strength from the hills (up & down), and if you can open your legs on a descent you can even get a faster cadence.

Added with a hard parkrun or something which can keep you sharp.

Jeff

1 Like

No marathon for me in 2020. I already did it in 2019 and I will quit while Iā€™m ahead! But I will be supporting (virtually) :muscle:

2 Likes

Yup, Iā€™d agree with that.

On paperā€¦

Going to try for a GFA for London next year which is a 3:15!
Will need to get my finger out and get some serious miles in.
Need to find a suitable race as well.

2 Likes

Looking into this a bit more and doing some research on expected times, seems like a 1.38 HM wouldnā€™t cut it for a 3.30. Sub 1.37 seems to be the consensus.

With another year on the old body, it seems extremely optimistic.

Iā€™m just quoting from a book, I wonā€™t be a convert unless I succeed, so not my opinion but the RLRF says two things on this; first a recent 1:38 half following their program could convert to a 3:26, 3:27 marathon and secondly that aging improves our ability to perform at the longer distances.

Youā€™re not helping. Iā€™ve just had a mince pie and am searching for the book of excuses. :laughing:

1 Like