Sub 9 Hour Journey

Albeit an hour slower when I did my PB I was doing longer tougher individual events or training so things like 4:30+ fell races, got used to heavy fatigue in the legs.

Was also doing TT’s just over IM pace

2 Likes

I remember Gordo Byrn wrote that if you want to be competitive at IM a 100 mile ride needs to feel like ‘just a ride’.

On the IF of 0.7 that is often suggested for AGers, one of Gordo or Alan Couzens, I can’t remember which suggests no more than 0.68 until you have ran well off the bike. I will use the @Hammerer prescription of ride like you’re riding to the event for effort.

2 Likes

I actually got that one of @Slacko for my first Forestman. “Ride the first lap like you are riding to the race” , I’ve always held onto that as its great advice, much like the if it feels hard, slow down, if it feels good, slow down, if it feels too easy, perfect"

5 Likes

This was a bit of a wake up to me when you said it in January. At the time it felt Lofty to be done on tired legs, but my lack of running has seen me push the cycling to compensate.

I’ve not done an even-paced long ride at race-pace to truly ‘know’, but in the past 7 weeks I’ve done 5 rides over 250TSS, with the last 3 around 330TSS as longer duration 6hr rides with long intervals at ironman/70.3 power for good normalised powers.

Planning my only true long-brick this Sunday if I feel OK after nights, if not will push it back to mid-week next week. Something like 4-1.5 at race power.

6 Likes

I’ve always ran very well off the bike, far better than would be expected for my open run times and suggest I’ve always been firmly in the easy-biking group based on feel.

This is my first season with power, and as I do more tri I think I’m getting much braver on the bike to push to the point of fatigue, instead of doing the whole of the bike like I’m riding to the run start line.

Dont truly know an accurate FTP, suspect around 330, but know I’ve held 280W and ran well in a 70.3, and same for 305W in an Olympic, so have been planning for around 240-250W ironman target.

7 Likes

250w for you at Cairns will be sub 5 ride

1 Like

We’ll see. Looking at averages would suggest so but comparing power to speed I’m slower than others around me.

283W got me 2:22 in recent half that is likely similar conditions to Cairns. Had a slight adjustment with position and potentially borrowing different wheels, or as minimum new tyres/tubes.

1 Like

That’s a big leap to take someone from 9:15 to 8:40 potential…but i’d like him off the bike with energy to spare safe in the knowledge that a 3 hr marathon will bring him home with 5 mins to spare…

3 Likes

Yeh used to know a few guys who could only trim a few mins once they hit sub 9:15. Funny really considering how long you’re out there. Can come down to transition times in some respects

3 Likes

One thing I used to do was try to follow the training and work ethic of athletes that were a little better than me - within reach. Then once you reach their level, you look ahead to someone else. Always good to look up all the time and keep pushing.

5 Likes

I am in a good place right now. Did a SBR at lunch 1200m swim, 25.5km bike and 5.2km run… oh and it was 32 degrees.

Swim 20m13s (HR 110)
Bike 37m @41.5kph and 250w (HR 152)
Run 22m @ 4:17/km (HR 153)

This translates into a Sub 8h40 IM (Incl Transitions)
The effort level felt sustainable

5 Likes

WTAF?!?! :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:
Are you cycling on glass in a vacuum or what???

That’s utterly ridiculously mind bending.
I’m 35.5kmh for 250W at 155bpm.
Seriously, where is the 6kmh extra coming from?

Utterly nuts!!!

Is it a typo?

The watts on Strava say 315?

Either way, shifting!

1 Like

No Typo. My Garmin watch wasn’t connected to my PM, so it is a Strava Estimate. Here it is from my bike computer, which is connected. I need to check, I think that the crank length on my bike computer may be set to 170, my TT bike has 165 canks so might be under reading a little

2 Likes

Ah that’ll explain it, Strava’s random number getnerator. Was it on your TT?

You do some rapid times around that lake!

Thanks. I have really been focusing on Aero position on TT bike. I also think that it helps being really hot today, which reduces air density. The road is very smooth, and there was very little wind, with only 160m elevation it is a very fast route… however, I did have to stop twice, once at pedestrian crossing and again when a car was turning left

2 Likes

You were getting “39.9kmh from 267W on our awful roads“ in January, and the roads are much smoother in Switzerland. Add in that you are using different power meters and that could be a 1-10% variation and put you in the same ball park.

2 Likes

That was in April, for an actual race, with race tyres and other stuff.
Road surface is “decent” for Cheshire :joy::see_no_evil:
But that’s a fair point :+1:t3:

Surely there’s not a ±10% difference in power meters?
That’d make something like racing on Zwift a ridiculous idea :wink:

1 Like

er, yes.

3 Likes

Yes, it would wouldn’t it.

10% total iirc, +/-5 is a reasonable working assumption. But likelihood is unknown. We’d like to think most of us are recording +-2%. And there are outliers. My two PMs are within a few watts of each other, but my trainer is +20W.

2 Likes