Sufferfest (or similar)

The most freaky one I’ve had recently was at my gf’s parents, where her sister was talking about the new development they were viewing a flat in. They had the brochure and showed us. There was nothing other than talking. I then went on instagram, and my first advert was for that development. We were on the south coast and the development is in SE London, so there’s no way location should have factored into that advertising. They’re listening to us through our phones I tell you

2 Likes

Yet Facebook and the like continually deny it (of course).

I’ve had some pretty weird ones too. Things that there is no way i have searched for in the past, or that could be linked to my locality etc etc

They are 100% listening, that is why they all want us to download the app so they can contol what they use on your phone (microphone etc.).
I have heard that smart meters are the same with the listening!

CCheers, but I got one from my cycling club this morning :smiley:
And my next day Wiggle hasn’t arrived yet, so I’ll more than likely just do an easy hour on Zwift instead

@JaRok2300 - BKool won’t download to my work laptop and my home laptop isn’t SSD and I CBA waiting for that to boot up when I want to turbo (it still wouldn’t be on after getting ready and prepped)

Off topic - Big Brother

I googled (for the first time) PATAGONIA SYNCHILLA GILET this morning, then my FB adverts had one for this and another for the Alteryx (?) equivalent :frowning:

Also, they’re not listening, it’s as simple as combining data from WhatsApp, location based triangulation and your friends/links etc.

1 Like

Just checked my FB app, and it only has permissions for camera & storage. Microphone is enabled on What’sApp & Messenger though.

Location disabled for all apps; and I generally don’t allow Google access either.

WTF, I was surprised what Google had access to on my phone, so have denied access to everything, and will see how that goes!

1 Like

I think Google has my whole life! I have three smart speakers in the house as well. Though i’m not sure how interesting it will be to Google to hear me negotiating with terrorists as to why they need to eat their veg or brush their teeth?!

2 Likes

Well…that sucked.
Maybe the swim and progressive run screwed the hound, but a paltry 222W.

Which is what a lot of my 3hr rides (NP) have been recently :joy::joy::joy:

I’m crap at the ramp.

The tool set up is worryingly OCD there…

That does seem low based on your previous data. It implies you bailed at a step of under 300W?

How did you find the inertia of this new trainer. Forcing through the dead spots on my old dumb trainer really use to hamper me I found

I bailed at 348W. But then span for a minute.
Online says it gives a reading of 75% of MMP.

I could not figure out how to engage ERG mode.
And it vibrates like hell. Plus it’s loudAF!!!

Teething issues to sort out.

You span for a minute inside the test protocol? The second you bail, you need to hit the pause button, or whatever it is on desktop, and end the test. It then takes you into the cool down section of the test.

Sounds like you didnt complete a full minute at 348, so say your MMP was 330, that should give you an FTP output of nearly 250W. As I say, 222 implies your MMP was under 300W which just seems wrong. So I’m wondering if it has accidentally included some of your minute spin in the calcs?

I did google the device. I couldn’t actually find one that had a true ERG mode. Do you have a link to the exact one you have?

Yeah. I assume it has included that spin, nasty little thing!!! I’ll have to do this again next week, but get everything set up correctly first (and make sure it’s the first task of the day!)

Erm…it just says BKOOL BCYCLING on the black sticker. No model number.
It’s got an ANT+ USB dongle and calls itself a “SARIS powerMeter” when I search for it on the laptop.

It might not even have an ERG mode, as I couldn’t download the software.
I’m going to have a good play with it later on in the week to see if I can suss it out!

If you email support, they’ll recalculate your correct FTP for you. TR support are exceptional. They’re in Nevada, but in West coast working hours they’ll often get back to you within an hour or two.

What’s your username on TR?

The TR website has a load of guidance on certain trainers. Not sure if yours in one of those listed? They have pictures which might help? https://support.trainerroad.com/hc/en-us/sections/200282894-Setting-Up-Equipment-and-Connecting-Devices

1 Like

Also, looking just now at your strava activity, your general compliance with the protocol was pretty rough. If I compare your workout to the last one I did before I got my ERG trainer, they are pretty night and day!!

Yours:

Mine:

What power source are you using out of interest? You have a power meter right, so I presume you are using your actual power meter data for the trainerroad numbers?

EDIT - thinking further, what did you set your FTP at to begin with. Looks like you only just made it above the white line, so if your MMP was in the 340 range, did you set your FTP well in excess of 300?! That will have made it harder, as it will have made each jump (which is a percentage of prior FTP) bigger. They suggest just leaving it at the default 200 for the first test, as it means the jumps are a bit lower and you get a better chance to work out how everything works

1 Like

I used the trainer for this one. Just to see.
And yes, it’s rough as.

I was pretty much in 53-11 from 200W and spinning like heck to get any power out.

Oh. FFS. I didn’t see that about leaving it at 200W either​:rofl::see_no_evil::sob:

Cheers for the link, I’ll have a look at that later on.
Got a proper half term outdoor ride tomorrow, then all afternoon to fart around with the setup.

Any tips on the vibrations?
Gym matting?

I use a proper trainer sweat mat. It’s a jet black one. It rolls up pretty small when necessary, but is rather thick for the purpose of vibration and sound dampening. That said, it’s the massive draw back of a wheel on trainer. There’s just so much more noise. I can now watch the tablet without earphones if I wanted to on the Direto. My old wheel on dumb trainer was nothing like that.

That doesn’t seem right. On my old trainer I had to be in the little ring as it offered so much resistance. I’ve never heard of anyone maxing out a trainers resistance, unless they’re talking about max effort sprints.

This might be the problem. If the trainer numbers are way off, then the numbers you are fighting to hit might be way off too. I would always dual run one device on, say, trainerroad, and the other (i.e. the power meter) on a separate head unit if I was trying something out, so as to get a feel for how they compare. That said, given the above issue about max resistance, I still don’t see how you can effectively be spinning out on a turbo

Not spinning out, but it was uncomfortable at 100rpm. To get more power, I had to spin more. And I simply couldn’t turn over 100rpm at that gear with the resistance the trainer was giving me.

I’ve sent my club mate a message to see if he knows the model.

It looks like an older version of the Pro.
It can do dual offset readings (so takes the power meter power to calibrate the turbo, which is pretty neat!)

Mine is the exact one in the photo here, looks like I need to upgrade it:

Cool. Hopefully you can get it working and it does have erg capabilities.

Power match is good. I use that on my Direto. As I think is widely reported in general with the classic and Type S power2max, my power2max under reads versus the Direto. So if I want my indoor training to align with my outdoor numbers, I need power match to hit session numbers appropriately

I’ve got the same trainer as that, it will work in Erg mode as long as you haven’t got one of the very first models that couldn’t be upgraded.
If you weren’t in Erg mode it would effectively be just a dumb trainer with quite low resistance that increases with speed.
They aren’t the smoothest or most accurate but can put up some pretty major resistance. I think you’ll find the noise and smoothness much better when you gear down a bit and the trainer looks after the resistance. I broke the front mech cable on my bike tonight and it was doing 300W in the middle of the cassette on the small ring.

1 Like