Swim advice

Training camp would be fun… I’ve been thinking about an unofficial Teide Triathlon…- Sea swim.- Ride up to the caldera then run/climb to the top.

1 Like

Absolutely. Not run one since cancelling La Santa at the first lockdown .

1 Like

that vid is awesome… Will have to put that on my swim mp3 player on loop…

1 Like

I actually submitted it on my L3 course as “inspirational coaching Id seen” . I learned a lot from Solar in the early days when we were TT 1.0 back around 2010ish

Race will be wetsuit compulsory. Don’t yet have one .- Am I better off :

1. : working on both 2kick ( for the actual race) and 6kick - for non-wetsuit training.-
  2. Just do the 6kick and tire my legs more than necessary in wetsuit on race day
  3. keep to 2 kick and assume position will be ok in a wetsuit…

It’s funny to be told off for kicking from the knee.-- I’m a diving instructor and that’s one of the most common faults in baby divers… The number of times i’ve told people “kick from the hip”. :-0

There’s still swim-bike-‘sit in a cafe with a beer’.-- A very respected training format over here.

Update:- Well, i was working hard on the first few points.- ( body position, kick and timing) and really thought I was making progress.-- Dragged my photographer back out to the pool and found out progress not as good as I’d hoped…

swim-0206 - YouTube

I think body position and kick look good until i start to swim then legs get bendy and sinky again…-

i still have this on my to do list…not forgotten it…

I’m not an expert like some on here but that looks like a decent improvement from the first video.

yes first impressions are that the BP is far better

No problem, no rush- I have plenty to be going on with…

Today’s update : Any comments other than that I still need to work on the straight kick?

I think for now it’s enough to say you’re making good progress and keep working on it. That last video is already looking much better.

• I told myself I’d leave it there and not riks overload, especially coming from multiple different people, but I kept typing and got carried away, sorry.

As you can see you’re not getting any propulsion from your kick when doing kick only. That’s fine, it’s there to keep assisting body position, and ideally start progressing towards doing kick drills where you’re also rotating side to side with shoulders. This will slowly help with the not having to lift your head as much to breath as well.

You’re still turning your hand completely in to the midline. Try and and keep your palm facing backwards all the time. Fingers enter water first and can begin to start the pull eliminating that pause/“catch-up”. What you’re doing is pulling across towards the midline, creating that pause phase where you’ll be coming towards a stop (since you have no propulsion from legs) and means that sometimes you’re having to kick out to keep balance.
That pause will be more of a problem open water if waves mean you come to more of a standstill every time you stop forwards progress.

• in time head up water polo drill can help with improving that focus on the front part of the stroke and increasing cadence, but I would try it very sparingly (or perhaps not at all) for now while you’re still getting going. But I’ve left the sentence in for others who might wonder the same.

Thanks for the feedback, I don’t really know what this means [quote=“Chriswim, post:33, topic:3252”]
You’re still turning your hand completely in to the midline
[/quote]

I’ve noticed that every now and then my legs look particularly weird, So I obviously want to fix it…
I am still struggling to work out when each hand should be doing what.-
Eg- if my left hand hits the water on 1. What should my right hand be doing? and the same for 2. and 3.
So i was trying to get them doing what they should when they should.- then progress to exactly how they should…

I have very easy access to the pool for doing drillls,-just not for too long at a time ( it’s still pretty cold). - But can’t hold too many focus points in mind at once… ( i’m sure i’m not alone in that)

the finest freestyle technique out there in my opinion, always worth watching Adlington videos, you tube search “underwater Adlington”

1 Like

Write them down and wrap the paper in sellotape to water proof it or drop in a zip lock bag to leave at the end of the pool. Maybe try to concentrate on one of the points per couple of lengths rather than all in one go.

1 Like

I’m curious about the lack of propulsion from the kick - not just fes2’s. Is there a common cause for this or is it usually just down to technique?

technique, usually caused by a lack of ankle mobility and legs either two straight or kicking from the knee.

think about how best to move water backwards

1 Like

Thanks @Hammerer

Images from Swim Fastest by big Ernie Maglischo

2 Likes