I’m bilateral three. Including events
When I go to 2 strokes I always try and breathe to the same side of the pool (lifeguard side, windows side, whatever) so I’m still practising breathing on both sides even though not bilateral.
Just to be clear as everyone seems to have gone down the 2 strokes versus 3 stroke route - my question was about the specific pattern in that link which involves breathing bilaterally on consecutive strokes which I’ve never heard of before.
I went swimming this morning and it was ace.
That is all.
My breathing is normally every 3rd. If putting some effort in its 3rd & 2nd. Ramming speed is every 2nd.
That’s pretty much the same as me but this thing I’ve found is just odd. Someone has now posted another link on the thread where the guy explains it. I get the logic behind it but still can’t get my head around breathing on opposite sides on consecutive strokes.
yet another “method” to overcomplicate everything. Learn to breath correctly causing minimal drag, breath every two to get the oxygen in, practice breathing to both sides. Simple
I struggle with breathing every 2 and getting the stroke rate I’m after. As if my stroke is pausing a bit when I breath.
Might be that I’m not used to the higher stroke rate I’m chasing after pretty much swimming Catch Up for the last few years.
But if your arm speed is fast you are still close to ‘catch up’. It’s called ‘front quadrant’ swimming (FQ).
I am due an easy session today (swim) so I will give this technique a go at some point. I think I’ll need to do it with a pull buoy so I can forget about my legs. I am trying to workout the rhythm though in my mind first.
Still not quite sure what the rhythm/pattern will be though!
Yeh, I notice someone has bumped the original thread on ST with the explanation now.
I haven’t tried it properly but I gave the breathing on consecutive strokes a couple of goes last night just to see what it felt like and found it really odd. I can’t see me every going more often than 2 strokes.
I also think the fact that it’s not a consistent pattern will be awkward and mess with your stroke until you’ve really perfected it which I don’t think I can be arsed with.
Ps. It’s worth a little look just for the “what are your credentials?” question and response(s)
don’t waste your time!
Oh, I know it will just be for ‘sh1ts & giggles’
I do sometimes do random bilateral breathing patterns though; just not that frequent!
Yes, I remember that thread back at the time. Priceless!
It would be like someone on here asking who David Wilkie, Adrian Moorhouse or Mark Foster was ![]()
I’ve got to confess I’d never heard of him, but I wouldn’t ask something like that without a quick google just in case.
I’ve just watched the Kieren Perkins video they bang on about, he swims every 2, occasionally I noticed he had a look around. He was not swimming some every stroke breathing pattern from that grainy footage. Many swimmers will take a look around to the lanes either side (one side in his case), or adjust breathing in or our of turns. BUT in slowtwits style I have to ask the question, “How did a swimmer who struggled to even make the Olympics and was slowest qualifier for the final suddenly get so shit hot in the final?” ITS A MIRACLE 
Beet Shots?
I thought that with the Perkins and Sun videos, it’s them checking where everyone is.
I met David Wilkie when I was a kid, he came to our school as part of some swimming campaign and was clearly bored and sick of school kids talking to him.
Well, I don’t think I’ll be using that breathing method any time soon.
So, i can post in here. I did an actual swim! Thanks to @Jorgan baiting on another thread i realised i’m wfh, it’s quiet, there really is no excuse!
Now my stats are kinda pathetic compared to you seals in here but still …
Set out with the sole goal of doing 10 lengths without stopping. I don’t think i’ve done a ‘proper’ swim in 2 or 3 years.
I started out with my usual slow pace and just got into a rhythm. 10 slipped by and my arms were startng to ache. I thought i’d go on to 20. I hit 20 and the downwards curve was flattening. I thought i’d push and see if i could make 60/64 lengths. I struggled around about 30, but then it just completely settled and i wasn’t getting any more tired. So i resolved to go to 2km to beat my last furthest swim of 1.9km (Cotswolds 113 in 2015). Once i was nearing this mark i thought f**k it. Carry on going to make it a full IM swim. It was kinda daunting as i was only just over half way. But then i focussed my frustration at not finishing Brecon earlier in the month and resolved to HTFU and get on with it.
So i went from targeting 250m non stop and came out with 3,800 in just under 1.22.
I obviously hadn’t planned on being in that long so was getting quite hungry and thirsty. Popped out at the end and almost hit the deck walking to the showers. Oh yeah, blood. Forgot about that. Had to grab an emergency KitKat Chunky on the way out then went straight to Tesco and bought some hot bread rolls and half a chicken. That lasted seconds!!
Now i ache, i’m tired but i’m proper, proper chuffed. Slow i know. But nice to know ‘it’ (whatever it is) is still in there!!! 


January target is sub 1:20 