Swimming for Hammers and Spoons

I enjoyed the novelty of being back in the pool last week. This week, being back in the sea although chilly has been fantastic. All pretty relaxed, just enjoying myself. @Doonhamer put it nicely the other day. Just feels like time stands still and it’s just me and the water. Absolutely bloody fantastic

5 Likes

Aimed for 12 x 200m off 3:30 today.

Forgot to press start on the first one :roll_eyes:

Subsequent 2 were slooooow
Then managed to pick up the pace.
Finished with a 400m

Then 1450m pull and paddles
150m fins and snorkel

5 Likes

Yeah. Have a look at this (just the original post) - quite timely

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Freestyle_Pulling_Motion_P7501204/

I haven’t the foggiest how she gets that arm position

1 Like

pah, what does that Gary even know about swimming…

3 Likes

good to see he mentioned rotating hand to little pinkiedown, but BS and BTF tell you not to do that but it works and means you can get to EVF with less downward force (which causes front end to come up, and legs to drop

Nice post.

The high elbow? Ive no idea where my elbows are but I’ve not had complaints from the few coaches I’ve had.

For me, I just think crawl like you were on the ground, pull yourself through. You wouldn’t lie on the floor and push your whole body way into the air just to crawl along - your hand goes just a little below the body and pushes back.

I’m sure that I do push deep sometimes when I’m being lazy.

That should be on the ST/IMJ thread. :slight_smile: He was attacked by a ‘nobody’ on technique then it was revealed he’s trained Olympians or is a multiple Olympian himself right? I cant quite recall…maybe both.

1 Like

To be fair some of his minor details are open to interpretation, and they are just that minor details. key thing is to put as little effort in as possible until your can push water backwards and to find a way to push as much as possible within your own limitations.
A lot of what he says is also just ripped straight out of Maglischo’s book, which he spent 30years perfecting :wink:

2 Likes

First time surely in 2021 I haven’t been awake before 6, but I clearly know myself as it’s also the first time I’ve set an alarm last night. It went off and I didnt know where I was!

Somehow got all my crap together and only a few minutes late into the pool but forgot to use swim.com so my stats are all fucked again as I wasted my life on the kick board again.

200 easy
266 alternating 66 kick, 66 pull x2
Then 100s not sure how many :sweat_smile:

900? 891? 924? At 1:44-1:46 I’m pretty happy

5 Likes

Hmm never used to get on with the pull bouy (and struggled to transition to open water).
image
1 and 3 with pull. Dying a slow death without it.

3 Likes

get those legs up :wink:

1 Like

You did a 4,400m session?! :exploding_head:

I only just managed to get back to 1600m today . I may try 2k in the Lido tomorrow though.

Badly written. My bad

11 x 200m
1 x 400m

So 4km, which is pretty standard distance.
Normally try and do at least 3500m so I feel like it was worth getting changed for

3 Likes

Utter lunacy.

I’m totally lost on all of this EVF pull buoy leg nonsense now, @Hammerer :sob::exploding_head::person_in_lotus_position:t2:‍♂

1 Like

That’s a lot of swimming! I don’t have the time (/motivation to get up early enough!) to do sessions of that length. Definitely got to be of benefit however. My biggest ever week was in Lanza where I did a minimum of 2k a day. 16.5k for the week. A week or so after that block, and I felt really strong. That was the start of the year where I went on to swim a 1hr01 IM leg, and I definitely think this kind of foundation early in the year led to being able to hold 1:38/100 for 3.8k

I’d normally aim for about 2.5k 3x a week in the pool, and then a longer OW swim at the weekends (when fit). Focusing on trying to do 3-4x in the pool at the moment at about 2k until I recover some of the strength endurance

4 Likes

When you have to pay £98 a month, you find the motivation to get up at 5:20 4 days a week.

I did 17km first week back two weeks ago over 5 sessions and that seems to have helped kick start me back.

Still a way off a 1000m in sub-15 though I feel

6 Likes

Yeah, my old times seem a long way away. I used to do regular 2k continuous swims on Monday. My best is just under 31mins. I doubt I could get within 5 minutes of that now

I was messing around with my stroke a bit today. No way I can get a Ledecky high elbow :wink: One thing I need to remember is “continuous swimming” to keep that SR up. I’m too knackered after 25m to do it currently :wink: Definitely need more fitness, I was great for the first set of 25s, but doing a 100 lost a lot of time in the second half. Need a good month or so (to be fair I was doing 45sec 50’s and 20 second 25’s off a short reset)

2 Likes

Seriously, I don’t know why I bother with swimming :man_shrugging:t4:
I’m not getting any quicker and my arms don’t ache after this morning either :see_no_evil:
Wish the sessions weren’t 45mins and I could do a bit more.
(Of course, this is a lie - 2.5km is my limit :rofl::see_no_evil:)

Anyways…

… Had 400s in mind…

50m free warm up (whoops! 42s!)
2 x 100m warm up (whoops! ~1:30/100m)
450m pull (I cannot count :rofl:)
350m pull and paddles (dropped 50m)
400m pull (still all cruising pace)
Feeling good, so did some speed
4 x 25m on 21s off 25s
2 x 50m on 42s off 50s
1 x 100m hard (1:23!)
2:00 rest…
400m mod (6:01 - bloody pacing! Set off far too slow, got quicker throughout)
50m cool down as whistle was blown :sob:

9 Likes