Talk to me about multitools

Just off out actually so have done a kit check

4 Likes

On the TT bike no less :+1:t3:
£20 :scream::scream::scream:
Flush :sunglasses::money_with_wings::pound:

It’s chucking it down here - I got up at 0445 to start riding at 0530 :sob::sob::sob:

2 Likes

The note is not for fixing tyres , it’s for fixing lunch :taco::lemon:

1 Like

I am very much in need of having my lunch fixed right now. Up at 4.30 and only eaten 3 bagels, a slice of toast and a bottle of maurten. Out doing gardening and every time I stand up quick I’m getting the blurry/black vision. Time to raid the strawberry patch!

1 Like

I don’t really see the need for specific tyre boots. I don’t really eat gels on training rides, unless specifically practicing intended nutrition, but I’ll always take one and just use that. A plastic gel wrapper seems a lot less expensive than a note!

Thankfully only needed to use the tactic once. Brand new tyre too. Had to ride 70+ km to get home on this Gu wrapper

4 Likes

Do you really need a chain tool, always seems unnecessary bulk/weight to cart about? Always amazes me when you see some one with a very expensive, super light, super aero bike and then stick a huge cumbersome, ugly looking saddle bag on the them, what on earth is in there that you actually really need?

In all my many, many 1000’s of road miles, I have never needed a chain tool (realise i’ve just jinxed myself). I do always carry a spare quick link (which i’ve never used) and am very anal about replacing and checking chains on my bikes, so never ride with a worn or poorly maintained one.

If you really look at what tools you are actually ever likely to need, and could realistically use at the side of the road, it is probably actually very few. But make sure you have them all covered and be aware that different bike will have different requirements (ie Shimano derailleurs need different tools to adjust versus SRAM etc).

A perfect example of getting this wrong would be in an IM last year, where i had just grabbed the multi-tool off my road bike without properly thinking. Then in the race the torx bolts on my aero bars came loose and i had the one tool that didn’t have a torx bit and lost about 5-10mins limping around with wobbly bars until i tracked down one of the roaming mechanics to help.

I hear this a lot, what are you hoping to do with the quick link without a chain tool. You always have to remove the broken links before the quick link can be used.

1 Like

I’ve snapped a Shimano xt chain whilst on the MTB and a long walk/scoot along that followed as I didn’t have the chain tool to extract the pin from the snapped link. I had the spare link but couldn’t push the pin out to use the link

I think I do more ‘maintenance’ at the side of the road than I do at home… I was very proud of myself for fixing a snapped chain on a commute one morning, which was the 1st time I had ever used my chain tool.

2 Likes

For me, i’m riding around recreationally. Weight isn’t an issue. And to be honest, the multitool will be my go to tool even when i’m at home, as other than a set of allen keys, i don’t own many tools. So it’s 2 birds with one stone really.

I have no idea how to change a chain, never done it before. But it’s all a learning curve eh1?

Exactly. Seems the wrong way around in terms of order of priority? I don’t carry a quick link when recreationally riding, but do have a chain tool on my multi-tool. If something went wrong, miles from home, I’d just shorten the chain (I’m guessing I could reuse a pin, just to limp home?).

In an IM, I carry a spare quick link and a separate chain tool in my spares bottle BTS. After all that effort, I want to finish, and a few grams of extra weight is an acceptable cost, even though I’ve never needed to use it.

I never go out on the bike without a chain tool. Usually use it on other folks bikes that are less mechanically minded but did once have the rear mech hanger go on the MTB and managed to get home shortening the chain fixie like.

1 Like

Yup.
The people without chain tools are always the ones who suffer from snapped chains.

You deffo want one.
They’re tiny.

Also, the people riding round on £10k super bikes can afford a taxi home, or have a long suffering spouse who’ll drop everything to go and pick them up.

I’ve ridden, raced track, road, TT, Ironman and everything in-between, approaching 38yrs of riding now and I’ve never snapped a chain. I’m also guilty of carrying a link and no chain tool.

But I over change my chains, in a normal road riding season, that will be at least three chains on the road bike and two on the TT bike. The bike at my Mum’s gets very little use but still gets changed once a year.

I tend to over change my cassettes as well. Not saying it could never happen but it’s never happened to me. The advent of 12sp might see that change though. I’m more likely to carry a tool on the XC bike.

With the exception of the last couple of years, all my drive trains have been Campag and the replacements are always Wipperman. I did move to KMC whilst Wipperman had no 11sp option. I like Wipperman as the link can be undone by hand but that doesn’t help with a snapped chain of course.

1 Like

Went for this one in the end and got it today for father’s day. Light, slim and with a long guarantee.

Cheers @Doka

3 Likes

That looks a very sleek multi-tool

Sure you will be happy with it and appreciate it even more as the gift it was.

1 Like

Dont bother carrying a chain tool unless you break and fix a chain at home first!

makes me look pro tho innit.

Whilst a very valid general sentiment true, you always also have the chance of being able to flag someone down who might know how to use it, even if you try and fail!