TCS London Marathon 2024

Interesting to note the wave time breakdown from NY marathon (below), I wonder if VLM will be similar? When I read the email I was initially expecting just a few mins between each wave.

VLM will be a very different experience this year…assuming it still goes ahead.

1 Like

I don’t think they can do that given how long they’d have to close the roads for.

Given we’ve had massive festivals this weekend, unless there’s a huge spike in hospital cases, the race will defo be on

3 Likes

What?
Like after Boardmasters :see_no_evil::scream:

But that didn’t stop Reading and Leeds / Creamfields this weekend

2 Likes

or lead to any spike in hospital cases

3 Likes

Like Jim said, no hospital spike after Boardmasters, just loads more cases, hopefully Reading/Leeds and Creamfields follow the same path.

And that nobody gets twitchy feet over a rise in cases…

For those of us that chose April 2022, which is now October 2022, it would appear we still have another choice.

As my entry was originally for VMLM 2019, this is going to be the longest ever build up to a marathon. But remains to be seen whether I’ll actually get the April 2023 option as I had deferred my 2019 place.

5 Likes

Yeah, I think you are right I can’t see the roads being closed for that length of time. Maybe forces an earlier start although that will be limited by public transport availability i would think. Also, the slower runners\walkers will be finishing in the dark at NYC which might result in further issues if it is a cold one.

I’ll leave the Covid discussions for the other thread :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Are those massed start waves, or are they doing some sort of a rolling start?

If the runners are seeded properly there doesn’t seem to be much point leaving such big gaps between the waves because the gaps should only get bigger as race goes on.

Seems to be a massed start, they state each wave will be clear of the start after about 10mims, timings as follows

Given it is a point to point race I suspect some of the arrangements relates to reducing crowding on the provided transport. Some of that concern applies to VLM too, the trains to the start tend to be “snug” at the best of times!

1 Like

seems Matt Hancock is running VLM…

and people are willing to pay £2 to give him some stick…

3 Likes

Anonymous
£2 plus gift aid
‘I bet your kids hate you’

Man, people are weird.

Looks like he’s running in Nikes.

2 Likes

there’s a matt Hancock on strava that recently ran 18 mile and about 3:45 pace so respectable enough. No idea if its real but there’s nothing weird about the strava except not a lot of stuff on there?

:rofl:

6 Likes

This is brilliant

So are people sponsoring him to run - or get bummed? :thinking:

3 Likes

The comments are pretty much all golden.

Thanks for that @itom150

1 Like

That’s disappointing. I’d been popping back to Matt’s Just Giving page & all comments are cleared & donaters are “Anonymous”.

1 Like

Agreed, thanks @itom150 for sharing.

Some real hate on there. Nevertheless some absolute gold.

My favourite was: “eat shit you filthy goblin”.
Simple, yet edgy.

4 Likes

Some extra metal if you are over 40 and reasonably quick.

2 Likes