The achilles and ankles thread

I’m having a repeat of my foot/arch/calf issue from earlier, probably my fault for not continuing the strengthening regime. It was a lot of loaded calf and foot work and some isometric exercises on the glute/hip/knee area.

I’ve had something similar in the last week or two, not helped by rolling the ankle a few times running on very dry fells and being sat on my arse during the day. I’ve got a standing desk at work which helps.

I think it’s coming from tight hammy’s as well.

You could just to do the lowering, eccentric phase and don’t do the heel lifting part.

1 Like

So three weeks on, its still stiff but I can run tempo pace on it, the question on my mind is…should I?

It was/is getting better but stiffened up again this morning and Im wondering if Im making things worse. I ran tempo yesterday, Ive got an easy 7k tomorrow and an easy 14.5k on saturday. Cycling and lifting loosens it up.

Am I setting myself up for tendonitis or is this active recovery the right thing?

If you’re asking yourself (as a runner) that question, normally the answer is no :slight_smile:

2 Likes

:sweat_smile:

So true. I am of an overly cautious, risk averse nature though, so I like to validate with others opinions. I may be being a wuss.

The bike training is knackering me anyway, so Ill see how tomorrows easy, nose breathing run goes. Maybe split up the 14.5km at the weekend in two.

When I started to get Quadricepts tendonitis I cut my running distance and pace dramatically. I then gradually increased distance, while keeping pace really slow, after 8 weeks I gradually increased my pace. I am now completely injury free and close to being back to full pace. I would really recommend not running at tempo, but maintain some running, after a few weeks start to increase pace gradually

This is the first time that I have actually managed a running injury properly. I thought that it was a really minor niggle at first, and a month at running at easy pace would be enough. It was actually 8 weeks. But I am really glad I didn’t have to stop running

My pace was roughly 6m/km and 25km per week for 2 weeks, 5:30/km and 30-35km for 4 weeks, 5m/km and 40km for 2 weeks. Now up to 60km per week, zone 2 runs at 4:45/km and IMVR races around 3:50/km to 4:15/km (depending on distance)

1 Like

A bit of stiffness wouldn’t overly concern me, I would be more shocked if you were able to return to running without any minor setbacks. After your easy runs I would hope it isn’t too bad.

1 Like

I think I can say Im healed now, so about five weeks that took and Im only doing one hard run per week, the rest at easy, nosebreathing pace.

Preventative measures will be;

No kick swimming, or no pointing toes/tense calves
Pedalling with flat feet, stretched calves
Calf stretches after hard runs
Eccentric calf raises once per week

Weighted squats seemed to help too.

4 Likes

Sounds like a sensible plan. Hope the recovery continues

1 Like