The alternative rant thread - I LOVE

A Yorkshire man’s beloved mother passed away.

He went to the headstone maker to sort out the stone for her grave. Being a devout man, he decided the inscription should read ‘She was thine’.
The stonemason told him to return a week later.

A week later the man returned to inspect the stone. The proud stonemason wheeled it out in a trolley. It looked fabulous, except the inscription read ‘She was thin’.

“It’s missing an ‘E’,” he exclaimed.

The slightly embarrassed mason apologised profusely and asked him to return a week later and he would fix it.
A week later, the Yorkshire man headed back to inspect the finished stone. The mason wheeled it out again. The bereft son inspected the stone. It said…

‘Ee she was thin’.

7 Likes

Apart from it’d be said as;

Ee, she wer thin

(Or “wor” depending on where in Yorkshire yer wer from)

Just go dig out a Beth Mead interview for a glimpse of my accent :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

I was working with a Yorkshireman last week. Or was he a Lancashireman? Dunno, they’re all the same really :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Did he extend or shorten his “oo’s”?

Lancashire - Looook, cooooook, booooook
Yorkshire - Luk, cuk, buk

:rofl:

3 Likes

It was more fook/fuk to everything but I take your point :grinning:

Ee wer a proper ol Yorkshireman. I could get him to bite every single time with my pretend southern ignorance.

2 Likes

If he was a proper Yorkshireman, everyone from south of the Yorkshire border is a soft, ignorant southerner :rofl:

2 Likes

If the (flat) cap fits :+1: :grin:

2 Likes

Do you have a ‘shopping voice’ when you go into these luxury retailers? :grin:

1 Like

We’re having a very serious think about moving to the coast.

My job has pretty much confirmed a max of 1 day a week in the office, and probably less, and that turns a 1:15 trip to 2:00, which I can cope with once a week….

We’ve long talked about living with the sea in sight…

Much to consider. Like why the fuck have I just started fitting a new kitchen…… :joy:

18 Likes

Have you looked to see if a big telescope is a cheaper option?

11 Likes

or just a webcam and a bigger TV……

6 Likes

Mrs W is keen to live by the sea, but I think that’s going to be a post-retirement move in 5 years or so

4 Likes

I’ve lived by it many times, it can be proper grim.

#JustcallmecheerfulBob.

4 Likes

Same here, my other half (and me to a lesser extent) loves Charmouth and is adamant we’re moving there once my son leaves home. Elderly parents locally are another factor though.

1 Like

You don’t wanna move too much.
Stamp duty.

It’s another tax.

It’s how they getcha :joy:

1 Like

We’ve been in the same house for 25 years :open_mouth: .

HMRC hasn’t had much out of us in stamp duty :rofl:

5 Likes

we’re the same…. bought this house in 1994.

4 Likes

Kitchens sell properties apparently

1 Like

I started counting how many times I’ve moved since '94. Got bored and gave up :grinning:

2 Likes

I think I’m at 35 or so

2 Likes