The Beatles - yes or no

Seriously - maxwell’s silver hammer, rocky raccoon, the octopus’s garden to name a few - all killer and no filler if you listen to radio 5’s in-house snobspert - jonatjonnsoemthinf… John Lennon was a spikey prick… National treasure or right place, right time? Musicians revere them… some don’t. I’ve never been able to get onboard. I respect the history, the musicianship, the songs. But I just can’t get past the production.

Help!

Thoughts?

1 Like

It’s a yes from me.
Right place right time? To a certain degree yes, but you can’t argue with the quality of the song writing.
I’m not a massive fan, but as a music fan in general I can enjoy listening to them.

4 Likes

It’s a no here. If I had to pick any Beatles related thing to listen to it would be Lennon’s Double Fantasy or maybe Harrison when he teamed up with Jeff Lynne

1 Like

It’s a No from me.

Drake has had more Top 40 hits than those jokers.

1 Like

Yes from me, happier with Rubber Soul onwards.

1 Like

Nick? :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Definitely a no from me. Never understood the fascination or the appeal.

I think they are/were a national treasure, just not my kind of treasure.

2 Likes

Firm no.

I’d rather poke wotsits in my ears.

3 Likes

But is it a no for Love me do, I want to hold your hand, yellow submarine, 64, strawberry fields, Lucy, Sgt Pepper etc. 'cos they’re quite different songs if you ask me, some are shockingly bad, others are worth a listen?

2 Likes

I think Lennon and McCartney wrote some great songs eg:

Blackbird
Fool on the Hill
Here there and everywhere
In my life
Long and winding road
She’s leaving home

As well as plenty that haven’t stood the test of time. Overall I wouldn’t sit down and listen to a Beatles album but would be happy if the odd sing like those above came up in a retro playlist. Weirdly they are a band which seem to have appeal to both my parents and my kids though, I can’t think of any others like that.

3 Likes

Also… 9 edits … Are you going for the world record @toby_Hole_in_the_leg ? I’m going to get to work on the title of the rodents thread. Let’s see.

Edit: it’s not easy, seems like there’s a time allowance so you can’t do it all at once. You win :muscle:

2 Likes

I grew up during the Beatles era in the 60’s. They never did it for me at the time or for many years after, but listening to some of their better stuff now (and they truly did make some real shite) then it does stand the test of time and has some great songwriting.

2 Likes

Not my cup of tea. Songs are a bit annoying, but could well have been great for their time… Clearly!

2 Likes

A band of their time. Now its time to move on and let them fade away. McCartney made an arse of himself AFAIC and ruined their legacy with his truly horrific performance at the 2012 opening ceremony…the man can’t sing anymore.

2 Likes

Yes. I am not a fan but like their music. I think art in general should be placed in context of the time it was made. They have been hugely influential years after they stopped being a band.

Feckin drake :rofl:

5 Likes

If it’s who I think it might be I’d rather have my eardrums gouged out with a stick!

Beatles, yes quite like them, not a superfan or anything but I quite like some of their songs. Was too young to form much of an opinion but Lennon seems a bit of a prick with hindsight.

2 Likes

that doesn’t sound so bad?

1 Like

Context is important so they served their purpose well - and

there’s some good stuff in there…

You wouldn’t have got Monty Python without the Goons…you wouldn’t have got many, many groups or sounds without the Beatles…

5 Likes

Yes from me
Their output was prolific and of such quality. Developed their sound. Superb

2 Likes

Well if it’s yes or no then it’s a yes. But my dad was a Stones fan, so…

3 Likes