The Fan Dance

I’ve never seen him in real life. Rumour has it that we were actually in the same race once but he was home, showered and had turned several pages of the calendar by the time I’d finished.

Funny thing was though, I was just about at the the top of Porlock Hill with 6km to go, he sends me a txt and I, not thinking at all straight wrote ‘don’t wait for me’ :laughing:

Also, I was watching a FD winter clip earlier and I’m sure they said it was 65lb, but I thought it was 35lb?

I’m still undecided. I’ve got a potential 100 miler on in October that’s tempting me - though I can’t be arsed to train properly for it . And a mate’s event the weekend before that I’d like to help out at. So can’t really be out two weekends in a row and leave Mrs GB with the two little ones.

So what you’re saying is, that your marriage and your mates are more important than meeting Jorgan and me?

You’ve changed man…

2 Likes

Yes 35lbs + water. SF Selection is 45lbs + rifle; pass time sub 4h for SAS/SBS candidates.

ugh shove that. I’ll throw an extra packet of Shot Blocks in my pack and call it good. :grin:

i came in at 3 hours 59 mins :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Efficient

1 Like

I assume the FD was done on P Company too, back in your day?

1 Like

P Coy was in the ‘Shot - the final phase moved to Brecon the following year. I did both, i broke my collar bone on the stretcher race first time round coming off Flagstaff. Neither had the fan dance…trained on it a couple of times before the hills phase…

To anyone familiar with the course, if you are doing clean fatigue, would poles be an advantage? I don’t see that may people using them in the clips I’ve viewed so far.

Poles would be in places, but hardly anyone uses them because of the military ethos around the event. There will be people there who are dressed in all the camouflage etc and think they’re actually a paramilitary :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

From what I can tell (and I’ve only seen sort clips), the trail itself doesn’t look overly technical, just loads of climbing but maybe I’m only seeing the ‘easy’ bits?

The only ‘technical’ bit is Jacobs Ladder, you’ll use your hands in places there up & down, but apart from that it’s just trail/path running at various gradients.

1 Like

Thanks, probably give the poles a miss but might chuck 'em in the car anyway. I don’t have the best technique, so tripping over a military type with my numptiness is probably not the best plan. :smile:

2 Likes

Obviously I’m hoping the event goes ahead for you guys, but the Betws y Coed trail running events scheduled for 28th Nov have been cancelled/postponed a couple of days ago.

Seems a bit premature; probably doing it to save themselves any ‘hassle’ later on.

1 Like

:crossed_fingers:

Also, forgot to mention that I’ve booked in for my IM tattoo. My plan is to stand next to you and talk about my awesome 6hr gruelling marathons. :grin:

3 Likes

Don’t forget the calf guards :rofl:

2 Likes