Running / riding in the heat

OK, so I’m not even talking real heat here! But it would appear that I’m a proper heat phobic Welsh man! Don’t get me wrong, I love being in the heat and can handle it fine. I tan well, and don’t have any issues, even at moderate effort levels.

But. When it comes to max effort my body just cannot cope! Ran a trial 10km today in low 20s and sunny. I just totally imploded! As soon as we were on the first hill the HR was up at 194! I knew there was zero chance of carrying that through for 40 mins, so backed off a bit. But it didn’t really help.

I recced the course last week (at a medium to strong, controlled effort) and was only 40 odd secs slower than today’s race! But I was working WAY WAY harder today.

Grabbed two places back in the last 200m with my trademark fast finish, tipping the HR out at 198!

I’m sticking to winter events! :joy: :snowflake: :snowflake:

3 Likes

Your eyes don’t appear to have melted.
Not heat

2 Likes

I melted inside out!

Could you correct the thread title please:

‘Room temperature and Me’

Thanks.

6 Likes

People mistake being able to cope with the heat when they are just sitting around, with what ist like when exercising in the heat.

Up to about 35C I have little problem but if you put me in the UK, in 30, then I know I’ll suffer because of the humidity.

You may have exploded at 20`C but the key question is what was the wet bulb temperature ? Its entitrely possible it was higher that day even on a lower shade temperature so your body would have trouble sweating ‘even if its only 20C’.

Have you tried heat acclimatisation techniques? I’ve found tactics like saunas really do make a difference

I’ve not really had to, as It’s not derailed an a race yet. When I did my London build I was doing overheated runs once a week to heat adapt (as well as other adaptations). So don’t know whether that worked or not.

This was just a one off race for a bit of fun. But it made me realise that every 10km I’ve bombed on in the last few years has been on a warm day. But yesterday was something else with the hr numbers. I actually feel like I’m getting worse! Age maybe?

My A race this year is a 100 miler across the Brecon Beacons in December. So I’ll be fine for that! :wink:

I was thinking same as you the last couple of years - I couldnt handle heat - but my experience at Lanza and Zurich this year is that if you’re pacing and drinking well, you don’t overheat. If it’s not - going hard on hills with the wrong helmet in 32° - then, yes, I’ll fall apart.

That looks like Budleigh Salterton behind you!

1 Like

Spot on! Home.

Temperature tonight at the Hudayriat track -97 degrees and low humidity - which is strange as its surrounded by shallow water on three sides and is usually like a sauna.

Felt quite cool due to the lack of humidity.

I used to live there and have run up that cliff path many times. used to turn left at a footpath past the Otterton sewage works and then back along the river Otter home. Or go further up the river to Rickety Bridge and then home…happy days!!

1 Like

That was the exact course of the 10km! Past the sewage works, over the metal bridge and back down the river to lime kiln carpark.

A few years ago I used to be alright in the heat, running wasn’t too hard and I’d often lose a lot less time than others, but in the last year or two I seem to bomb when it gets really hot.

Although I don’t get much experience of heat, I do go to the sauna a bit but have got out of the habit recently.

I think you need to run half a dozen times in hot weather to adapt to the heat. When weather got hot, I noticed my HR was significantly higher, having done quite a few hot runs, my HR is back to where it was in the winter

Heat is a stress. I remember Frodo talking about Kona and that he drops is IM pacing by either 5 or 10% (can’t remember which) due to heat and humidity. Always think heat is one of those reasons to wear a HRM so you can monitor the affect it has on you.

1 Like

A couple of extra thoughts.
Whilst adaptation is absolutely possible - Matt mentions a few runs in the heat - in my experience when I have adapted a bit I think it takes several weeks unfortunately and I don’t know how I could do that in the UK.

Wearing a HRM might be vital for racing. I don’t normally bother with one and can pretty much guess my HR accurately when ‘tested’ but I think the heat might throw RPE out and a HRM would help this.

Finally - race situation - And this might be a game changer for me - I’m wondering about warm wetsuit swims in high temps. Hamburg was 24.1 with high air temp and I felt like I was cooking on the bike. I pretty much never feel like I am cooking on a bike ride (run is different) and I have started to wonder if I actually cooked on the swim. Something to investigate further I think

Did I mention saunas?!
Seriously, my experience is they help loads. (As do treadmill runs in hotel gyms with zero aircon!)
There’s science behind it too (I’ve previously posted the link I was sent by a club KQer)

yeah, and I have seen Matt Dixon’s ‘Sauna Protocol’.
For me I’ve found they help a little bit, but don’t make a ‘gear change’ difference unfortunately.

I guess like most things, the “response” can be individual.
Out of interest, how long did you persist with them for, and what was your approach / measure of whether they were achieving anything?