The IT Thread - Your questions

I do already have a data model with a lot of stuff already built in. I’ve also written Levenstein algorithms, soundex, regex, lowest common substring and some common lookups as well as looking at ATV, sales volumes to either automatically classify or suggest with a percent confidence for manual review.

Just want to do it a bit better and see what else might be possible

2 Likes

This is the sort of stuff our “textchecking” code does for AML. i wrote some of it, my bit loads the input file of “names” into memory on startup. We arrange a minimum % match and check letter by letter so something like Saddam Hussein would be found if it was Sddm Hssn but maybe not Sam Hussein, the bloke down the pub trying to buy a pint. Its quite complex code but not AI.

4 Likes

I have code which does a lowest common substring which effectively does what you say abd would pick up the sddm hssn. The poblem with this is that if a village, town or city name is in the title it will group them all together so when trying to automatically match up venues. Braintree Kebab and Braintree Fish & Chip shop will get grouped with something that just comes through as Braintree and is not identifiable with any ease since they match 100% of Braintree. So it’s a nightmare

2 Likes

Do labs not use a CDISC type standard for results then (like SDTM)?

Seems odd that they’d follow a standard for trials, then abandon that (or at least following some type of ISO standard) when sending results.

The labs are generating the PDF from something - XML? JSON? Both massively easier to read in!!!
Or do they have to send them by PDF?

Interesting stuff.

1 Like

CS50web homework: a triathlon and beer themed search page.

2 Likes

But when I use “Degugle” and search for beer, it’s brining up Degu’s drinking beer :rofl:

1 Like

Stop pushing changes to the Degu search :rofl:

1 Like

OK this is a bug

plan B if SBRoogle doesn’t take off (or fails the homework) was a rodent-based search engine

Maybe I have mixed the code up somwhere :man_shrugging:. Back to the drawing board I guess

Nah, I circled back to your GitHub repo and changed the URL you gave for SBRugle to get the Degu based version. :white_check_mark::ok_hand:t4:

1 Like

Had to see this for myself… your right! :joy:

1 Like

My left!

3 Likes

Was actually tempted to make it RonJeremoogle after a comment someone left on your Strava (genuinley) but figured that would definitely fail, plus perhaps attract some unwanted local attention :policeman:

edit: finally managed to deploy a very basic app of sorts using Django and SQLite (a user- editable degu wiki, which clearly the world needs). A few things clicked into place today & think I’m getting the hang of how to push to GitHub from vscode and pull from GitHub to server. it’s not straightforward to learn is it?

2 Likes

Wells Fargo seem very behind the times here. We had a purge of this software over 10 years ago at E/// and at Voda. I’m amazed it’s still possible to load it on a work machine?

2 Likes

Erm :face_with_peeking_eye:
I do it daily, so I’m okay with it.
Rebasing and reverting still screws with my mind.

But linear push/pulls etc are simple.

I love VSCode. Get flake8 installed and get it all linted nicely.

Have you done “import this” yet for the Zen of Python?

2 Likes

Meh, Homer evaded yonks ago :joy:

1 Like

“Where’s my TAB?” :rofl:

1 Like

Im doing CS50AI, its fucking intense. The probability stuff and Im decent at maths

3 lessons in.

Its making me reconsider the application to the MSc in AI i have to submit this weekend. I’m struggling to find 2hr slots for the “lectures” let alone a 2yr MSc which will no doubt be very intense.

3 Likes

Oh wow, that’s actually my plan next too if I ever complete CS50web

such great resources and free, but really not easy

for cs50 and cs50web, the lectures are fully packed and fast paced - I found I needed to work through some of the shorts before having a crack at the assignments/projects

for cs50web the projects are asynchronous with the lectures, you just do them when you think you have enough of a grasp.

1 Like

I signed up to cs50, but the 1st lecture was too basic for me, well its been my career for 30 years! L2 is C programming and its been a while since i touched that, I do a bit of c++ , not a lot recently though, but main difference spart from being OO is the library calls are different, ie MALLOC is NEW in C++

Web sounds interesting as ive not done much of that. One of the MSc modules is on secure webapps and Intelligent UIs which would give me a heap of new usable skills

1 Like

Just finished my first project, tic tac toe game against an AI. I was clueless and ended up in a you tube rabbit hole. Got it working thanks to a follow along. Need to go back and really understand the logic behind it though. Maybe redo parts of the lecture.

2 Likes