The motorcycle thread

It’s a custom exhaust but uses the standard mounting points so could be standard.
Tophat - that’s the word I was looking for, just wouldn’t come into my head, I’m sure I’ll find one now.
Thanks

1 Like

Any welders turn away now :scream:
From this:

To this:

It ain’t gonna win any beauty contests but I tried to build up a thick bead on top of the weld to add a bit more support - whether that’s right or not we’ll see.
I weld so rarely I should practice on some scrap first but never do and by the end it’s looking OK but the first runs are awful.
Ps. £18 for a little disposable bottle of Argon now too.

5 Likes

Looks good to me. Have you got an airline to pressure test it before it goes on?

My motorcycle weekend is going badly, I forgot to buy masking tape yesterday (to label all the tubes and cables as things come off) and today it’s raining. Maybe tomorrow.

1 Like

I’ve got an airline but didn’t test it. I was more worried about the the whole end section snapping off as the two end cans clamp to it with no other support. I can live with a few pin holes to be honest, it’s so f*ckin loud to start with I’ll never know. (I only noticed the cracks when looking underneath, the sound never gave it away)

Suzuki to exit MotoGP at the end of this season. That’s sad news.

2 Likes

I haven’t followed GP for a while but Suzuki were an also ran a few years ago, has anything changed?

Thats terrible news :disappointed_relieved:, so soon after they won the WC too & their bike seems the best it’s been since Kenny Jr.

They have, apparently, the lowest budget but Joan Mir managed to win in 2020.

I haven’t kept up and didn’t realise that. I do remember Kenny Roberts Jnr dragging the brand down in the worst WC defence in memory!

It’s out the garage. I can’t tell you how complicated that is. ‘Get the bike out the garage’ is even harder than ‘refitting is the reversal of removal’ in the Haynes manual.

But it is out. So the project is GO GO GO.

9 Likes

Yeah baby!

1 Like

Staying original? I have seen a couple where the bodywork has been updated and they look stunning.

Not sure yet. I’d modify it but don’t do anything you can’t reverse. At the moment I need to get the carbs sent off, the engine looked at and then decide where it’s going.

I’m tempted to build a Senna type tribute akin to the Ducati 916. But that decision is miles down the road.

2 Likes

I would guess that if you wanted it be valuable in the future you would want to be as original as possible.

But yeah, I would be thinking about new bodywork l.

1 Like

I’d go standard, IMO looks heaps classier than a tribute paint but it’s your bike. So few of the 250s in original shape that an original will get lots of admiration.

That looks really sweet, I’ve definitely got a 2-stroke shaped hole in my motorcycle history with an ever decreasing chance of filling it. Very jealous!
This is a pretty cool place for trick bits - I remember them doing loads of prepainted race rep bodywork but that seems to have slimmed down a lot these days.
TYGA-Performance

It’s Tyga who make the carbon bodywork I’ve got my eye on. Just not sure I want it that much (in money terms). But first things first, I’ve got to get it going.

2 Likes

I was carrying on with my VFR project, yesterday. The plan had been to strip down the clutch master cylinder and do a refurb. Of course the piston is stuck fast in the body, so I’ve brought it into work to help persuade it out.

The other job I was hoping to do was get the carbs off and start cleaning them up and to replace the fuel hoses. Of course that they are stuck fast and I couldn’t lever them off, so I’m buying a crowbar from Toolstation, on the way home.

Every single nut and bolt is going to be an issue.

1 Like

Be careful levering the carbs off, you don’t want to distort the body/rubber alignment.

1 Like

Thanks @FatPom The rubber boots have welded to the sides of the carbs. I put some wd40 down last night so I’m hoping that by next weekend they would have freed up. Had a look on YouTube and a guy showed a different method of getting a lever under there, compared to the technique I was using.